I take that back, it's more extremely difficult with a high chance of major bugs...
Here's how it would have to be done - and I'm curious if anyone else would have any better ideas
1. Hook into the 'route', 'all' plugin hook
2. Create a catch-all for unregistered pagehandlers
3. See if an unregistered pagehandler == valid username
4. if so, call the profile pagehandler - do some hackish stuff to reshuffle the page segments
5. hook into the 'view','all' plugin hook and parse/replace all urls to remove the "profile" pagehandler
6. Create a redirect from the profile pagehandler to just the username in case of out-of-date links/bookmarks
As I said, extremely difficult, most likely error prone.
no no no no...
ask deScoop foist ! ;-P
o-l-d topic ;-)
sans elgg api logi, but simple htaccess
first cut by yours truly anoyying monkey @circa 3 years back
have a browse..;-oO
Vazco built a plugin. It slowed my 1.7 system down quite a bit so I stopped using it.
Here's some info about it: http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Install_Troubleshooting#I_am_having_trouble_setting_my_data_path
You will probably need to contact your host to add your Elgg data directory to the open_basedir list.
No friends yet.