Remove "Tag Cloud" from sidebar 1.8.6

I would like to remove the "Tag Cloud" from the sidebar.  I have disabled the tag cloud plugin and actived the river addon plugin with the option of "Do you want to display tag cloud in sidebar?" set to No.  Still the tag cloud appears in the sidebar.  Is there a way to remove it from the sidebar without removing the plugin completely?

• I think the tagcloud plugin adds a widget for display tagclouds. If you want to remove the tagcloud sidebar, you may need to override the tagcloud sidebar views.

• River addon only add tagcloud in activity and wire view, not to Files, Blogs, etc.

• Ok, Files and Blogs is where I want to remove the Tag Cloud.

• mod/blog/views/default/blog/sidebar.php:

if ($vars['page'] != 'friends') {
        echo elgg_view('page/elements/tagcloud_block', array(
            'subtypes' => 'blog',
            'owner_guid' => elgg_get_page_owner_guid(),
        ));
    }

Comment out these line. Hopefully, the tagcloud will vanish then. Similar for files:

mod/file/views/default/file/sidebar.php

Maybe best would be to override these views via your own plugin instead of commenting out the lines in the core files.

• Don't modify core views.

1. Copy the view file @iionly mentions into my_plugin/views/default/blog/sidebar.php
    2. In your copy, comment out the lines @iionly mentions
    3. Run /upgrade.php to flush the views cache. 
  • @Steve:  hehehe. That's kind of what I suggested in my last sentence. Though I was too lazy to give detailed instructions about implementing the plugin...

3. Run /upgrade.php to flush the views cache.

Some nitpicking: running /upgrade.php to flush the cache is no longer recommended (as Even pointed out recently when I suggested the same in another thread). Instead you can simply flush the cache via the admin dashboard.