Additional Useful Open Source Goodies To Other Elgg'ers....

Hi All,

While I take a breather from my two sites, I thought I would let you know (if you don't already) about two great Open Source goodies that I have used in the past and have now started to work on implementing with my two new sites.

What is osTicket?

osTicket is a widely-used open source support ticket system. It seamlessly integrates inquiries created via email and web-based forms into a simple easy to use multi-user web interface. Easily manage, organize and archive all your support requests and responses in one place while providing your clients with accountability and responsiveness they deserve.

osTicket is an attractive alternative to higher-cost and complex customer support systems; simple, lightweight, reliable, open source, and easy to setup and use. The best part is, it's completely free.

What is OpenX?

OpenX Ad Server is a powerful open source platform that manages advertising for more than 150,000 websites in over 100 countries. More than 300 billion ads run through OpenX Ad Servers each month. And since it's available as a software download or as a hosted service, you can decide to run it yourself or let us take care of managing the infrastructure for you.

OpenX don't currently have a plugin for elgg, however one of you good prgrammers may want to look in to co developing this with other elgg plugin developers, I really do think it could go down a storm for now and in future. Take a look at their Plugin page

I hope you don't mind me posting the above and NO I DON'T have any link with them, other than as mentioned I previously had put them both to good use. I already have the osTicket up and running on my non elgg site, take a look by going to it's Contact Us page.

Regarding OpenX, they offer not only an out right downloadable version you host, setup and maintain yourself but their hosted version which for below 100million ads served per month, is free if memory serves me correct.

For some of you Google Advertising things will work better, but for some of you if like me revenue for now is not the be all and end all and the long term goal and growth of your elgg site is imperative. Why not setup your very own full blown feature packed Ad Server and charge for it, rather than only getting a portion from Google for their ads served on your site? ;)

Just my two penneth to help the elgg community, I am not a programmer as previously mentioned and only self taught with (compared to true programmers) minimal skills, so this is the kind of thing I can contribute back to this community.

Suffice to say my minimal knowledge and bumbling my way through creating a site for my new business, does me well enough and if in doubt I seek guidance and help for those bits i do struggle with.

I hope the above helps some of you bring some more true needed and required functionality to your sites.

Regards,

• @ Rob, You are right. As an Elgg developer, I and twizanex team have managed to develop Openx plugin for Elgg. Currently is undergoing vigorous testing and soon it should be ready for use. You are right, for short term most of the Elgg admins are using Google ads and other ads services available on Earth. However, for long run, Elgg website owners should manage their own ads.  Find more information here