web services and the elgg api

Hi, I am looking for someone to help me figure out why api calls are not returning expected results when using the web_services and apiadmin plugins. I am willing to hire help provided they are not overly greedy or expect pay without results as has been my experience so far with elgg developers.

• However I have found an elgg developer I can work with whose name I have seen on these forums ever since I have been here and know he is knowledgable and reliable. Thank you for your responses.

• Wolfepk, I would say for Elgg prices are 30+. I understand people who charge 80/hour or more though, especially in case they're located eg. in US, where prices are higher. I haven't seen reliable Elgg developer whose work you wouldn't have to throw away with first modification and who would charge lower than 30. Sometimes it's worth to pay more to get more.

If you found good developer for good price, it's great - stick to him :)

• @wolfepk1 - You're welcome to pay whatever you think is reasonable for your developer, just like the developer is welcome to charge whatever he thinks is reasonable for work. Mike is absolutely right that if you go for bargain devs, it will come back to haunt you.

Another caveat - Just because a person is active in a community doesn't mean he's a reliable or knowledgeable dev. Ask for proof and vet that against other devs you see here. Sometimes the loudest voice isn't the best.

• Yes Brett I know that, I have been an elgg developer for over ten years and on the elgg site. I know most of the  people who have been active for many years and have worked with several. I also know of many who claim to be developers, charge an arm and a leg, demand full upfront payment, and then either cannot even do the work or provide adequate results. Many also who want to charge people to research how to do things which again is laughable. education and keeping up with your chosen field is your responsibility not your clients. Anyone who wants to charge 80 dollars an hour is not someone anyone should ever use as an elgg developer. Why should anyone aloow them selves to be ripped off just because some guy claims he can do something.

• Brett I also stated that I know he is relaible and knowlegable not that I think he is because he is on the forums. As to the rates, I am in the US and I work with developers and eesigners in many fields. The only ones who charge 80 an hour are those that want to work 2 days a week and get paid for for the whole week and larger coimpanies who charge that and more to larger companies. They are also true programmers or engineers not people who work with cms solutions and have learned enough about a single one to do some work within that environment. They are the ones who could write a cms like elgg start to scratch not those who learn to edit the progam.

• Why i am feeling that PeterM Aka _ _ _ _ is back ;)

Keeping checking for wolfepk1 reliable developer :D

• hi max,, howdeedoomatey,, i am still, back in the usa from muah over-extenpkded vacation in de carribs,  Peter, i believe still lives and works with high tech m/c in south africa, and wolfepk1, as i think he said above,  somewhere whow knows in usa,,, and you...? r u that WS guy that got hired or just cruising....?

• @wolfepk1 - What web services plugin are you using? Any addition to the one I am working on (http://github.com/markharding/elgg-web-services) would be greatly appreciated. 

• Hi Mark, the original file I started with was off github but was named Tachyon-Elgg-Web-Services-3891b82.  We have made sevral changes and are in the process of making more this weekend. I compared your lib/user.php to ours and there are a lot of differences. In the next two weeks I hope to have nearly 40 functions being called from the app. If we can get everything working smoothly, quickly and wiht a hint of any trouble then  maybe we could compare files, notes etc?

• Hi Mark, the original file I started with was off github but was named Tachyon-Elgg-Web-Services-3891b82.  We have made sevral changes and are in the process of making more this weekend. I compared your lib/user.php to ours and there are a lot of differences. In the next two weeks I hope to have nearly 40 functions being called from the app. If we can get everything working smoothly, quickly and wiht a hint of any trouble then  maybe we could compare files, notes etc?

Professional Services

Professional Services

Get / offer professional help on Elgg; like customization, design, development, setup, hosting... Illegal trades are not allowed.