Is parent group/subgroup possible?

This would be a very powerful feature for me to be able to utilize. Unfortunately, my php programming skills are limited to some syntax and cut/paste recipes.

Can anyone tell me if there is a plugin currently available for this, or if it would be difficult to do?

Thanks!

• What I've done for clients is to add an item to the group profile called "category".

If the category is set, I show a "related groups" link in the left submenu. If you click on that, it shows you a page listing all the groups with the same category.

This is a simple change but seems to meet their needs with very little effort.

• I'm currently working on a improved group-plugin with subgroups.

I think i'am ready in the next days.

• Kevin,

First thank you for all of your effort in the Elgg plugins, am still kind of new to this ...

Kindly advice me you did this modifcation ,,, as am think about creating a simple social network and I want to add community type ( ex. A , B ,....) and groups to have a view to all other groups ,,, and to see only related groups for the community type ....

Please I know this might be ultimate simple to you but for me am still lost ...

Thank you in advance

• @ossa : you can either use the method suggested by Kevin, by adding categories to groups or you can create a relationship between the groups. Another way is to tag both groups with same keyword and search and display groups with similar key words. The http://docs.elgg.org is a good page for you to start. If you need proffessional help you can hire proffessional elgg developers from here.

• Actually I did it with subgroups from LOREA project, and it work fine ,,,,, but do you know how to limit the number of levels of subgroups in?!

• I know this discussion is very old but, do you know if somebody finally published a plugin for groups with subgroups on it?

• 'very old' ? quite a few plugin approaches to groups/subgroups were published very old time ago ;-) today i'd go for subtyping the groups entity with/without a parent - far far less coding than those before ;-P

• Github has a lot of 1.8 projects in various stages of development. Try lorea/subgroups

• Lorea's module is not working properly, any other suggestions?

• Kevin Jardine 1324 days ago
    What I've done for clients is to add an item to the group profile called "category".
    If the category is set, I show a "related groups" link in the left submenu.
    If you click on that, it shows you a page listing all the groups with the same category.
    This is a simple change but seems to meet their needs with very little effort.

Seems to be the easiest/ best way to achieve this subgroups ;-O