What purpose do the :after css clauses serve?

Hi,

I've bumped into a number of CSS clauses that include either X's or a period in an :after statement, such as:

.elgg-body:after {
    display: block;
    visibility: hidden;
    height: 0 !important;
    line-height: 0;
    overflow: hidden;
    font-size: xx-large;
    content: " x x x x x x x x x x ... x x x x x x ";
}

I understand what it's doing, but I'm hoping someone can tell me why this kind of structure is used in 1.8.

Thanks,
Mike

• looks like u r asking abt the nuance oss CSS as a 'language syntax' ;) just goto e.g.w3cshools and browse some of their tutorials on css - there's much there that will help  learning more easily.. cheers..

• As I stated in the original post, I don't need an explanation of what the :after clause does, or its syntax. My question is rather what programming problem were the core guys solving when they used this technique to add (hidden) periods all over a page, or a string of (hidden) x's.
    Mike

• I don't know for sure but my best guess is cross-browser compatibility.  That said I've never had to use anything like that to achieve my goals.  That said, I'm pretty uncaring about decade old/fringe browsers.

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.