Privatise elgg

I am using 1.8.3 to host a community site for the north east indian engineering students. I want to manipulate the core of elgg with help from some programmers. I like the basics of elgg and i want to add more custom plugins unavailable to anyone. In short, i want to own it for a professional site. Is it legal? Has anyone ever tried? Is it safe from security vulnerabilities from the elgg side?

• Elgg s released under GPL Licence and you can use Elgg for anything. All you have to obey is the domain policy available @ http://elgg.org/about.php

If you write the plugins properly as per the guidelines, there is nothing to worry about it. If you like to release it to community,you can do that.

• Thank you for the information webgalli. But i didnt get you when you said something about writing plugins as per guidelines.
    Can't i use my individual innovations?

• @Newbie - be as innovative as you like!  What Webgalli is saying, is to read through the documentation on plugins first, it'll make your experience a whole lot better.  Also, you are absolutely free to modify the core engine if you want, but it's not recommended for a number of reasons:

1. It breaks upgrade paths - you will lose your customizations if you attempt to upgrade your elgg version
    2. Subtle nuances that you may not be aware of can ripple through the system - elgg uses a *very* normalized database structure so if you create/delete something out of place it can be hard to track down
    3. If something does break in a customized system noone in the community can provide any decent help
    4. It's very rarely necessary - pretty much anything you want to do can be achieved in a plugin while leaving the code base intact
  • north east ? kolkata ? উত্তর পূর্ব? আপনার কলকাতা? ? which college ? my elgg-friend from kolkta is at college in chennai for comp sci...;-)

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.