Embed content

It's now possible to upload through Embed content (1.8.1b1), but on my site when I try to add an image, only a thumbnail is inserted - tried in blogs and pages. Anybody else tried this?

• Side note: WP dialog allows you to change image size after it's been placed into the post (you can specify exact dimensions, which I believed are handled with html height/width).

3? I thought there were 5 thumbnails - (topbar), tiny, small, medium, large + master (actual image). But I think it's a good place to start. Allow users to select from whatever thumbnails are available. Let them define float (I guess clearfixes need to be added automatically?).

Breaking themes is no novelty for Elgg. With plugin authors arbitrarily assigning width to their items, it has been a great challenge for me to build a theme that's fluid and doesn't break content (even Elgg's core is not very theme width friendly, e.g. upload icon js script relies on a hard coded width).

I guess it should be better with 1.8 css, nevertheless as a content writer I would prefer having control over how images within my content look. From a user standpoint, I would be careless to know how Elgg operates, or what thumbnails it creates. If I want my image to be half of the width of my blog post, I should be able to do achieve that - no matter what backend complications are.

(I am leaving out the whole discussion on how sometimes imposing Elgg is on admins and users)

• Elgg 1.8 made huge strides in getting rid of hard coded widths. The CSS framework with its grid should make it easier for plugin authors to do the same.

If you do find pain points when theming with 1.8, please open a ticket on Trac.

• The embed content feature is an awesome idea, and I would also like to second the move towards a solution where we can choose the size of the embedded content. 

• Just to say +1000 to an embed plugin "wordpress like". As a non programmer, I can say I really love Elgg, but really miss some facilities.

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.