Elgg 1.8 Database transfer

We have elgg 1.7.6, we used loginbyemail plugin, our users register to the site with "name" "email" and "password". The username is generated from the name, for instance: name= john smith => username=johnsmith.

My question:

Is it possible to transfer all tables from 1.7.6 to the 1.8 without losing users or their contents?

Thank you very much

Gennaro

• 1.8 includes an upgrade script that lets you migrate from 1.7 to 1.8. The upgrade is one way--You can't go back to 1.7 once you upgrade, so be sure to make backups.

• Smith

Thanks Brett,

But i don't understand very well.

It upgrades all system or just the database? Because i need to migrate only the database and the data folder. It is automatic process?  can i copy and past tables from 1.7 database to 1.8 database manually?

Thanks again

• Smith, see the documentation on upgrade for more info @ http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Upgrading_Elgg

The upgrade script will update your database and in some version it will also update the elgg datafolder.

• @Smith: Well upgrade.php is not intended to upgrade any script except database. Because you already upgraded your script from 1.7 to 1.8. That's why you are suppose to execute upgrade.php. As suggested by Brett, backup your database before execution of upgrade script. Let me give you clear steps what i usually follow with my installations.

1. Backup your 1.7 database.
    2. Get latest elgg 1.8 and uncompress.
    3. My installation directory is "public_html" whatever yours, just copy with the name say "public_html-backup".
    4. And move new uncompressed folder with the name "public_html" at same location.
    5. You may have some specific .htaccess settings like "php_values". So do that manually in new .htaccess file. 
      Note: do not copy .htaccess file from "public_html-backup".
    6. Now copy database information from "public_html-backup/engine/settings.php" to "public_html/engine/settings.php"
    7. You are done.
      Note: At this stage you must have "public_html-backup" and "database-backup.sql". It will always make you feel secure in case of any problem with the migration.
    8. Now go to browser and execute upgrade script. After few seconds, you will be done with your upgrade.
    Hope this will help you to migrate things successfully. We have done this with "http://www.pluginlotto.com" and it is working perfectly.
    Thank you.
  • Smith

i Z A P, thank you very much for your guide, it's perfect and it works.

I wish u a great summer!

Gennaro

•  

Thanks this explanation. Based on it and the Wiki repository I´ve made a text to BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE comunity learn how to make the upgrade, including migration from 1.7 to 1.8.

Como atualizar o Elgg da versão 1.7 para versão 1.8?

<!-- display the actual blog post -->

Passo-a-passo para atualização da Rede Social Elgg

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.