Required Fields - Working... TOO much!

Hey Kevin. I just tested out your latest version of the form plugin that was said to have a repaired "required field". I tested it on radio buttons - Works fine. However, with "Short text line", "Long text line" and all of the variations of text boxes, it works TOO much. As in, if I were to make a form with a title of "How many hours of sleep do you get a night?", and have a short text line as a required input box, so people could write their answer however they would like to, if they hit "Submit" it will bring up the error message that (in lamens terms) says "Hey, you didn't fill out this required field, go back and fill it out and hit submit again." I'm not sure if this is an indication of what is going on behind the scenes in code-world but once the page reloads with that message after hitting submit, all of the inputted text is deleted. Maybe the inputted text gets deleted right before it actually checks to see if there really is information that needs to be sent?

I have tested it on all of the text lines as well as text boxes and all of them result in the same error message. Radio buttons work great, and actually "Tags box" will allow it to go through without an error message, but the text you put in the tags box will not show up in the back end e-mail that is sent after the user hits "Submit". 

I am by no means a programmer/coder but I'll try to figure out the problem in the meantime!

• Hi, thanks for the bug report.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this. Text fields work just fine for me. I tried regular text fields, text areas, every combination I can think of.

If all the required data is supplied, it is accepted. If some of the required data is not supplied, the rest of the form is re-populated with the supplied content and a request is made for the missing information.

Perhaps you could try re-installing the plugin? Just in case I suggest that you remove the old mod/form directory entirely and replace it with the new one.

• Yeah, everyone I've had try it on my site cannot get it to work right so I am almost sure that it is probably something on my end. Come to think of it - I don't recall making a CLEAN install of the new version. I will try that and see how it goes! Thanks for responding quickly.

• Hey Kevin, just wanted to report that I re-installed the plugin with a clean installation. Working great!

• I installed the very latest installation. Can profile text fields be made to be required? I looked at the documentation and the option doesn't exist. Thank you in advance. <3

• Hi Kevin,

The are not the possibility of required fields in profile form. is there a reason?

I am developing some plugins based on your felprofile plugin and required fields would be very useful for me.

Thank's

• Hi Fernando,

Enforcing profile required fields would require changing the standard profile form handling, which would take quite a bit of work. My plugins just add new fields to the profile forms - they do not change the entire system.

Form and related plugins

Form and related plugins

User-generated content, flexible user and group profiles, registration forms, custom file forms