Site slow downs

I was using Elgg 1.7.8 on Crazy Domains hosting in australia and started experiencing inexplicable slow downs of the site then it would work ok again for a while. it was intermittent.

I rebuilt the site in Elgg 1.7.9 only using plugins that worked on the old site, no test plugins. and also changed ISP provider. I have just noticed it start to do the same thing the last few days. it only has a few members and none of them are on, but it is slowing down randomly to a crawl and I cant figure out why.

anyone got any advice on how to monitor processes or elgg performance. to track issues of this nature. I dont think it is the ISP . Hearing about any other peoples experience of this kind would be appreciated.

• a clue...this popped up when I was refreshing the ftp connection to the site files and was in the a main htmlin error.log

[27-Jun-2011 17:00:36] PHP Warning:  Module 'imagick' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
    [27-Jun-2011 17:06:36] PHP Warning:  Module 'imagick' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
    [27-Jun-2011 17:06:41] PHP Warning:  Module 'imagick' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
    [27-Jun-2011 17:06:56] PHP Warning:  Module 'imagick' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
    [27-Jun-2011 17:07:28] PHP Warning:  Module 'imagick' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
    [28-Jun-2011 10:07:30] PHP WARNING: 2011-06-28 10:07:30 (EST): "file_get_contents(http://freegeoip.appspot.com/xml/58.163.175.134) [<a href='function.file-get-contents'>function.file-get-contents</a>]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable

" in file ........./public_html/mod/vazco_gmap/models/ip_geocode.php (line 76)

• 503 ? Server is overloaded..
    site slowdowns ? cheap hosting..
    Real production elgg will not perform well on cheap hosting -
    you'll need at least VPS.

• mdkberry, problem with webservice is not related to your speed problems. It's an auxiliary webservice used in vazco_gmap, plugin works without it. We'll remove it from error logs in next version.

• Do you have cron jobs running, which are trying to optimise the Database or which try to "logrotate" Elggs System Log Tables?

Kind Regards
    Maik

• @Maik, logrotate is set to once a month and crontrigger is enabled but I havent set any jobs specifically, garbage collector is on too set to once per month.