Top bar not visible when using Internet Explorer

Hello forum,

When I log in to my Elgg site using IE9 on my localhost, I can login and view the top bar. However, when I log in to my domain the top bar is not visible and when I click the site heading, I get redirected to the log in page.

Secondly, where I work uses XP, so I assume they are running IE8. Some of the computers there reproduce this problem, while others allow login okay. It's very strange.

When using other browsers this problem never happens.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks,

Lee.

• What theme are you using? What other third party plugins are enabled?

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Hello,

I'm using the standard theme on Elgg 1.7.10 with Rivers dashboard.

Plugins:

Custom Index

External PagesVersion: 1.7  Author: Curverider

Chat - Version: 1.7.0   Author: Felix Stahlberg

NoElab MEdia Embedly - Version: 1.0  Author: NoELAb

• Did you try without using Chat and NoelaB?

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• @Lee

If the problem surfaces only with IE9 - it is most likely not an Elgg-only issue ! IE9 ?! lolz ;-) IE seems to mis-behave a lot of the time(s).

It is pretty much a standard practice when facing problems in Elgg --to disable *all non Elgg bundled PlugIns to then test with the basic plain Elgg install.

• Thank you for your replies. I'll try disabling other plugins. I don't understand why I see the topbar and can log in on my computer with IE9 on my localhost (my computer running XAMPP), but not on the remote site.

Maybe something is different between the local and remote installation.

IE has never delt well with web standards.

Thanks again,

Lee.

• I've done a bit more probing.

I completely deleted ALL Elgg folders and files but kept the database.

I reinstalled elgg and ran upgrade.php

Problem persists.

I installed Elgg in a new folder, tried IE9 and it works.

I think that there is a database issue somewhere as all the install files are new.

I'll see what else I can find.

• " see the topbar and can log in on my computer with IE9 on my localhost (my computer running XAMPP), but not on the remote site."

"Some of the computers there reproduce this problem, while others allow login okay. It's very strange."

looks like the probem is probably with the remote computer ;) most of our users have ie9 and *nobody has ever reported any problems - topbar nor anything else. the 'database' does not relate to the 'ie9' issues...

• Hello DhrupDeScoop,

Thank you for your reply. It is somewhat confusing as when I use my computer (now) and IE9, a NEW installation of Elgg on the web host server works fine, but my production site, on the same server doesn't. The problem only occurs with IE. It's almost like it loggs me in and out at the same time, as when I click on the main heading I get redirected to the login screen.

I think I'll just start again with the new installation.

• hmmm...
    check our prod domain names
    problem maybe with 
    http://Domain.Com
    and
    http://www.Domain.Com
    you confused the issue by talking about localhost, remote, XP, IE9, ... ;-)

• To avoid the problem with IE disable Custom Index