newbie question. server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that ...

The page isn't redirecting properly
Fiirefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

ive been reading the comments and discussions and tried searching many different ways. i've tried every crop and read everything i could find. nothing works. so i thought, maybe it was just my host comany - namecheap. so i searched namecheap, and found another user has been using Elgg without and issues with them. all the discussions i found were more than a year old, the htaccess file doesnt even seem to look like the ones they talked about back then.

no idea what to do! :(

Elgg v 1.7.9

namecheap host servers. YES mod_rewrite

not sure how to find the other specs normally asked for php version etc... but their servers run all the other cms's fine, and as i mentioned someone else was using namecheap with success.

sorry if im lackign in info, really not sure what else to add?

thanks

• something interesting.... i just tried elgg 1.8 and it shows the following error:

• We think your server is running the Apache web server.

There is an .htaccess file in Elgg's directory that was not not created by Elgg. Please remove it.

only problem is, i don't see any other htaccess file other than the one elgg unzips with the package. so i even deleted that, and still get the same error.

hmmm.... is it possible there is a HIDDEN htaccess file that overrides elgg's? if so, how would i UNhide it? not sure if that's the real problem though... just throwing it out there. i completely wiped the root clean of all visible files via cpanel>file manager, highlighting what was there and deleting it, before unpacking 1.8

• talking to namecheap live support. here is the server deets:

PHP version 5 and Apache version 2.2.X

and yes, they say they do support mod_rewrite

• ok problem solved, haha. turns out the hosting company had to reset my cpanel so i could view hidden files. the hidden htaccess was the issue, deleted it, and now everythign on 1.8 runs fine. onyl issue was i couldnt have the data file in the same path as the elgg install.

ie:

elgg >  root/

data > root/uploads

it didn't like that, so for now i just used a different domain. im guessing you cant install 1.8 in the root anymore? i'll try installing in root/elgg or something tomorrow, then data in root/uploads so the two paths are in tandem

thanks for the read. maybe it will save some peopel a headache if they come across the same prob. luckily my host has 24/7 live chat support and a lot of patience!

• Glad to see that the new installer in 1.8 did its job. I'll update the error text to make it clear that .htaccess is always a hidden file.

We're working on instructions for putting the data directory inside the main Elgg directory. Making that secure requires editing the Apache configuration (you cannot do this through .htaccess).