Changing domain names

Assume old.com=old domain. new.com=new domain.

I am trying to change my domain name on my site. It will stay on the same server with the same host, except instead of being in /www/, it will be in /www/new. Currently,  my site is in the pub_html root (i.e. /www/admin/, /www/mod/). Moving it has been *hell*.

I did exactly what the doc said for making a duplicate installation and it has thus far failed me. Here is how it looks after changing every instance in the sql db from "old.com" -> "new.com": image

(Instructions from http://groups.google.com/group/elgg-users/browse_thread/thread/6de151a91101896e)

The css files are obvious not coming up. I used Chrome's dev tools and the css.css file is totally blank. The URL it references is http://new.com/_css/css.css?lastcache=1298771347&viewtype=default. I deleted the views and the folder from the data dir (/home/user/home/user/etc/data/) as per the instructions on the aforementioned docs.

What did I do wrong?!

• ;-)
    Did you try ? ->
    http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/DuplicateInstallation
    -- that is the definitive guide to duplicating/ copying Elgg site installations..

• I did exactly that and came out with exactly what is above.

• what hosting are you using? I'm confused, don't you have to point the dns of your new domain to your hosting?

Could you upload again a screenshot?

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Have you updated the .htaccess and run the upgrade script? Moving elgg is very simple

• I'm going to equate this to a computer that cant access the internet. You check the cable to the router and its fine, then you try pinging, and try clearing the cache and what not. But you never checked if the router was plugged into the wall... Damn it! I was using the htaccess from the original install, even though I had changed the URLs in the file to reflect the new site, it still wasn't working. I guess I'll have to learn from this one! Thanks so much!

• Yep, still broken. I put the project on hold for a few days to deal with other things. Log:

[Wed Mar 02 23:02:41 2011] [error] [client 255.255.255.255] PHP WARNING: 2011-03-02 23:02:41 (PST): "include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening '/public_html/newdomain/version.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php')" in file /home/user/public_html/newdomain/engine/lib/version.php (line 77)
    [Wed Mar 02 23:02:41 2011] [error] [client 255.255.255.255] PHP WARNING: 2011-03-02 23:02:41 (PST): "include(/public_html/newdomain/version.php) [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory" in file /home/user/public_html/newdomain/engine/lib/version.php (line 77)
    [Wed Mar 02 23:02:41 2011] [error] [client 255.255.255.255] PHP WARNING: 2011-03-02 23:02:41 (PST): "include(/public_html/newdomain/version.php) [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory" in file /home/user/public_html/newdomain/engine/lib/version.php (line 77)

I replaced both version.php's with fresh ones from a fresh copy of Elgg. This error is repeated three or four times, just on the login prompt (It fail after you try to login). Client's IP address was changed, /user/ = my user, newdomain=domain we're moving to.