datepicker translation error... (bug)

Dear Kevin, I need to translate datapicker to spanish

I ve added a ui.datepicker-es.js to my calendar mod directory and included in metatags.php the folowing code:

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $vars['url']; ?>mod/event_calendar/ui.datepicker-es.js"></script>

I ve tested it on clean elgg 1.7.7 instalation only with standard modules. While creating new event datapicker is wonderfully translated to spanish but.... the event date is 1 Jan 1970.

Nightmare.

This can not be conected with datapicker from any other module as my instalation is brand new just for this calendar test purposes.

Here is a link to spanish js http://code.google.com/p/listr/source/browse/trunk/listr/lib/js/ui/i18n/ui.datepicker-es.js?spec=svn26&r=26

I hope you can test it, as you ve been conecting this error with datapicker conflict with other modules and clearly it is not the point.

Please help us to solve this problem, as this problem is one of the most comented in this group. I do understand that many people do not care as they use it as is in english, but i guess as a developer you want to make this mod accesible internationaly.

many thanks.

• I understand, however in many topics it is written about the conflict beetwen calendar and some other modules, It was not clear that this is actually a bug. Me and others on this forum has lost a lot of time investgating this also because you ve also confirmed it in some topics. Just wanted to make it clear. I m providing those informations as you ve been asking for bug reports and was working on new version.

I can provide, write by myself or fund additional languages, but if there is a bug in datapicker aplication it s not going to work anyway.

Could you provide the link to UNESCO elgg page, you metioned before? 

• I'm not an expert in localisation and I was expecting that someone who was would have suggested a solution by now (as the first version of the event calendar was released a couple of years ago).  I imagine that those who have figured it out (if any) kept the solution to themselves.

It appears that UNESCO is also encountering this problem and I am in discussion with them about it as well.

I think that it is a combination of difficulty in localising the datepicker and the PHP strtotime function.

Probably the easiest solution would be to change the date format to ISO. Eg. 2011-03-01 instead of the current format for the start and end date input fields that includes a month name. Then strtotime would work.

• http://jqueryui.com/demos/datepicker/
    has some note on localization ( which i believe is same that martinez mentioned earlier )
    quote --
    " Localization
    Datepicker provides support for localizing its content to cater for different languages and date formats. Each localization is contained within its own file with the language code appended to the name, e.g. jquery.ui.datepicker-fr.js for French. The desired localization file should be include after the main datepicker code. They add their settings to the set of available localizations and automatically apply them as defaults for all instances. "

if it works.... why re-invent ;-)

• @ Kevin Well, thats what i expected! i m glad we have a conclusion here finally. Changing date format for ISO will be a good solution i guess, let me know if you can give any advice about how to do that.

@ DhrupDeScoop This is exactly solution which i have tested with 0.83 version http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/release/515812/developer/kevin/event-calendar before it was reinvented in 0.84 version. Do you have any idea why it s acting like this?

i guess its about time to solve the problem which is described on this forum since 3 years...

• Hi, Martinez i appreciate your help  as well to Kevin and DhrupDeScoop,

please let me know if you get the solution, i will be in debt with you :)

greetings