dropdown navigation menu

hi

i have just started customizing my first theme/contribution. (based on alternative_simple theme) which i caanot wait to share. i have a menu/nav bar but i would like to have dropdown menus.  this is what i have so far:

div id="page_container">
<div id="page_wrapper">

<div id="layout_header">
<div id="wrapper_header">
<!-- site name -->
    <div id="site_name"><h1><a href="<?php echo $vars['url']; ?>"><?php echo $vars['config']->sitename; ?></a></h1></div>

<div id="menu">
        <div id="menu_inner">
        <a href="<?php echo $vars['url']; ?>pg/dashboard/" title="Dashboard"><span>DASHBOARD</span></a>

how do i add the dropdown to this? i have tried using code from other plugins but no joy.

oh and also, how would i include the standard messages icon next to the messages link so that next to "messages" i can have the messages icon change from white to red to inform of new messages?

can someone please advise?

thanks kindly

• hi again sorry about the double post

i got it going ok, used to canvas menu code in my theme header elements to get the bar up and then the canvas men css code pasted into my theme css to format the menu.

some problems tho if some one can help me

1) my alingment is now off image

2) i need to be able to make the messages button somehow show there are new messages

3) i don't want the menu to wrap i want it the full length of the screen.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

ps: the sooner i get this finished the sooner i can contribute it to the site and stop leeching ;)

and i have all the background images etc ready for it just need to sort out the layout etc.