Content Submission - Pulling my hair out still, over how Elgg handles this!

I am so sick and tired of how Elgg is STILL handling these tokens and content submission!

I just lost a fairly long comment that I was posting to one of the plugins, which had several questions and good suggestions. But apparently I had already had that tab open too long before I began typing the message and then when I got ready to submit it, I got another one of those expired page messages!

[removed].

I simply cannot use Elgg. I had already thought for some time that I would just build my social networks in Drupal. I am convinced NOW that this is what I am going to do.

Rather disappointing! I was really loving Jeroen's new profile manager plugin. And I think that the whole Elgg experience is generally speaking much easier to set-up and get going.

However, I simply CANNOT have such IDIOTIC messages and handling of user contributions!

Imagine hundreds of users encountering the same thing all of the time! They worked SO HARD on a content contribution to the site. They UNFORTUNATELY did not type up the content in notepad or wordpad or word, before pasting it into the form on Elgg. They DON'T have the content ANYWHERE ELSE and it was ORIGINAL CONTENT. And now they get this ASININE error message about the page expiring and they have LOST THEIR CONTENT FOREVER!

Thanks alot, [removed]! I HATE YOU FOREVER.

The days of Classic Elgg are gone, when this [removed] stuff never happened!

• On topic - I feel the saved as draft solution would be the most conventional (used by many other sites) method of resolving this issue. My only concern is would this have any effect on the server load by having to cache these drafts? 

off topic - Trac or any project management system thats set in place for a community is one of the most successful ways to keep this information indexed and accessible. Most every successful open source project uses a similar system to keep track of its development stages and processes. I use one for a mere 2 users within my companies project and it has increased productivity immensely.

I totally agree with Cash that a forum post is a great first step before doing a bug report, just to see if anyone observing the discussions has run into this before. More often than not you will get at least a few observations on how to fix the problem or where to start looking. It will also help to discuss among the community whether the issue should be classified as a bug or not.

on the off topic of censorship - A known aggressive lion would not be caged and castrated, they would be killed. it's not so much a matter of dumbing down the user base to dronedom, it's a matter of keeping things oriented towards progress. If one is to just exhibit lewd/rude/aggressive/disruptive behaviour, they are hindering progress, where as those who choose to follow the system thats been set in place, in a respectful manner, are enabling progress. Those intent on hindering progress in a community are usually removed from said community.

• "on the off topic of censorship - A known aggressive lion would not be caged and castrated, they would be killed. it's not so much a matter of dumbing down the user base to dronedom, it's a matter of keeping things oriented towards progress. If one is to just exhibit lewd/rude/aggressive/disruptive behaviour, they are hindering progress, where as those who choose to follow the system thats been set in place, in a respectful manner, are enabling progress. Those intent on hindering progress in a community are usually removed from said community."

wow! were you educated in nazi germany by any chance? signed up for an rfid chip?

got a barcode on your forehead?

• @tunist - what you just posted is a perfect example of what we don't want. It does not add anything to the conversation but only attacks an individual. There are ways to disagree without being disagreeable. It starts with addressing what someone has said rather than saying things about their character, intelligence, background, etc.

• makes plausible sense to me. I explain my opinion and you provide an anecdotal, yet totally uninformative, reply.

if you start a fight at a bar, security throws you out. if you start a scene at an airport, chances are, you'll be detained. if you are generally rude, unhelpful and abusive on an online commmunity, you'll be banned.

Just because I believe we're all here to make progress in our seperate ways, does not mean I support communism or fascism.

should all forms of expression (violence is an expression of aggression) be accepted by a community?

• @tunist - what you just posted is a perfect example of what we don't want. It does not add anything to the conversation but only attacks an individual.

who is 'we'? is we, not 'everyone'?

while you may have interpreted that my words were an attack, you are avoiding the recognition that i was responding to the claim that the expression of emotion 'always' resolves to enslavement and death.. and that that is the correct response. i am not attacking anyone, simply asking questions. the 'aggressive lion' metaphor is being used as a way to describe 'what happens to people who go against the grain of the few'.. "don't question or raise issues that are important, they annoy me.. if you do i will kill you".

social networks are much more than software - they enable communication within the human soul.. we must acknowledge this and allow the expression, the internet is not disconnected from 'the real world', no matter how much those who follow the 'Caucasian dream' of disassociation from feelings will claim.  my words are based on real world energy.

"There are ways to disagree without being disagreeable. It starts with addressing what someone has said rather than saying things about their character, intelligence, background, etc."

not really.. 'disagree' = 'disagreeable' only if the receiver of the message is not in acceptance... if the receiver is not in acceptance then any amount of spin and rewording will make no difference, they will reject and find it 'disagreeable' anyway. i agree that i could have written many more words (as I am doing now) to explain the other words that i had written.. and i accept what you are saying and accept that you are 'trying to keep the peace'; but sometimes, where there is an undercurrent threat and veiled association of violence (begun not by me) there will be a concise reply that is to the point. there is nothing wrong with extremes. You may notice that the 'saying things about a person's character' was actually begun by 'trackhed' against Yakiv in that Yakivs FREE expression, which assaulted no-one directly was taken to be an attack and was made 'wrong' by default. This IS an assault against yakiv, except it is a standard and cowardly lion assault that is often used undercurrent as a way to put down free expression in the name of 'progress'; like the autonomic 'programmed' (unfree/stuck) assaults against freedom that we see day in, day out around the planet.. in the uk we use the word 'snide' meaning 'underhanded' or 'hidden'.. in this case it is sub-conscious - i.e. not even acknowledged by those who made the expression.. thus without willingness to recognise what they are doing, there will be a continued denial and arguement that this is not what is going on.. yet with honesty and willingness to see afresh, there can be the real-eyes-ation that actually it is.

I appreciate my position here is unusual in comparison to most people you will have met.. I am not normal. :)

"makes plausible sense to me. I explain my opinion and you provide an anecdotal, yet totally uninformative, reply."

- as i have just gone some way to explain; i have a lot going on in my mind, heart and soul.. and you were not to know that consciously.

"if you start a fight at a bar, security throws you out. if you start a scene at an airport, chances are, you'll be detained. if you are generally rude, unhelpful and abusive on an online commmunity, you'll be banned."

- ok, if you say so.. but you may notice that the original comment that started the thread was simply a statement of personal opinion and not actually an outright assault against anyone.. if i sell a car and bits don't work.. and you buy it.. and it triggers your rage in one way or another.. there is nothing wrong with you screaming that you hate the car. it may be that actually your hatred is aimed at any number of other facets of life and not really the car, and that your rage is simply being triggered by the car... none the less you are not wrong to express the rage and hatred.. suppression of that may do more harm than help.  

"Just because I believe we're all here to make progress in our seperate ways, does not mean I support communism or fascism." - that is not the logic of my response. the logic of my response - the logic of my response is - there is a strong similarity between the thinking that says 'if you make a public outburst of free will that is expressed as hatred and rage you will be killed' and the thinking that leads to suppression of freedom in other ways.. actually it is the same. I am talking about wars, concentration camps, prisons.. you name it.. all the stuff you no doubt prefer not to get involved in.

"should all forms of expression (violence is an expression of aggression) be accepted by a community?"

- with total acceptance there are no shoulds. that is free will. there was no violence in the expression in this thread.. only in the association you made that expression of aggression will resolve to caging and death.

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.