Sloooooow.... sooo sloooow....

Just upgraded from a 1.6.x to 1.7.3 and it's amazing how absolutely slow the site is loading now.  I have searched all around the site and looked into the wiki, but I still haven't been able to figure it out.   The threads here that mention a problem being slow are generally hundreds of days old and I haven't found a solution.  Lots of speculation, but nobody seems to have figured out what it is.

I have noticed with Gallery 2, for instance, that it will run slow at first, until you start putting lots of pictures into it, and then it speeds up drastically.

The site was actually pretty fast before, but now, with a clean install and one admin user, it takes between 2-4 MINUTES to load a page.  That's just not going to work.

What are the critical LAMP settings to get this thing to run at a usable speed?  I am on a shared server at HostGator, but it didn't seem to matter before.

I also get a white screen when I attempt to disable plugins.  I've been told to increase my PHP memory, but it's set at 64M right now, does it really need to be bigger than that?

• All of these problems sound like you either 1) have a bad file transfer, 2) didn't run upgrade.php, or 3) have other changes on on the server.  It might be worth checking out the instructions in UPGRADE.txt and trying to upgrade again.

Also, remember that not all 3rd party plugins for 1.6 work with 1.7, so you might want to disable all plugins (the part about the disabled file) to see if it helps.

• The files were the first thing I thought of, but it was unzipped on the server.  I did do a directory by directory sync check with FTP, so that doesn't seem to be it.   I ran upgrade.php, and I've looked through the upgrade.txt and install.txt over and over.

At the moment, there are no plugins installed except the ones that ship with the 1.7.3 package.  Disable all plugins gives me the same white screen.

I'm going to delete it all and try it over again(4th time the charm, hopefully).

• This time I installed it with the RESTful API box unchecked.  It did speed up, but not by much.  Page load is now around 120 seconds.

• Just enabled the TidyPics plugin, and its server analysis says the memory used to load the page is 5.98 MB.  Is that normal?

• ~6 MB for a page isn't abnormal.  A page load of 120 seconds and a WSOD on the plugins admin page is, though.  It still sounds like something is wrong with the server or the upload.  Try enabling error reporting (http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/White_page) and let us know what error is causing the WSOD.