Upgrading using Installers and the common "Token" problem

I thought I'd start a discussion to see if there is a common cause to the widely reported token/mod issues after upgrading.

I'm hosted on Arvixe, and after upgrading to Elgg 1.7.2 using Softaculous I found a problem with all plugins in that I couldn't disable, enable, move or edit them. It was either stating the change had been completed when it hadn't or it was stating missing token error and redirecting to main page. Various other functions were also not possible such as deleting messages, editing external pages or manually validating new users.

I've seen many other reports of these issues from other users too and wondered if (as Arvixe is suggested by the Elgg community for hosting) others may have done what I did and simply upgraded through Softaculous?

I resolved this by doing the following over FTP:

Disable all plugins by creating "disabled" directory in Mod (because none would disable in Tools)

Removing all non-core plugins (and backing them up on my system to install later)

FTP all Elgg 1.7.3 directories to overwrite existing installation

Running upgrade.php

Copy htaccess_dist to .htaccess, replacing existing version

FTP non-core plugins one-by-one and testing to check for errors (remembering to upgrde.php and check presence in user menus).

I found one plugin that wasn't compatible and removed it. Now my site is back to where it was with no obvious problems found.

I'm a n00b to Elgg and don't know much, but I'm wondering if using something like Softaculous to upgrade is the reason so many are having the token error. I just thought it might be worth a shot to see if this is what's causing common errors after upgrade.