Adding iframe support for Admins only

We have just setup an internal site for Elgg. So far, it works great. Unfortunately, the back end is MYSQL, while our main data information for the company resides in a MSSQL. We were hoping to we could 'connect' the site to the MSSQL through our various php web pages.

I have been reading through some random posts online, where we can add iframe support, using the tinyMCE plugin. I was able to modify the tinyMCE plugin to display iframe data from our internal php sites, but Elgg continues to strip away the <iframe> links.

Is there a way to allow Elgg to accept iframe links, but only from admin users? We understand the risk for iframe, but hoping that admin only access would minimize this.

Thanks

-Jeff

• Why not just put links to the other pages in your Elgg site? If you describe what you are trying to do, we may come up with a better solution than iframes.

• Sorry for not being clear enough.

We have designed a new configuration management, that handles all our version numbers, releases, etc. Everything uses the MSSQL as a back end, with multiple front ends (C#, python, php, etc). We are looking at different ways in order to provide the large amount of data that we have, but at the same time, not overwhelm the end users. We will be providing information on over 600 branches of software, tracking 20 different releases, with an average of 35 components for each release.

So, we've been looking at content / social management systems in order to better distribute this information, and to enhance our platform.  We don't just want to just display our information in php files, based on parameters in the URL, as we have it currently set up. We want to enhance the experience, but at the same time, providing a place where our 100+ developers, and 30+ managers of different levels can access not only our content, but the small inter-department groups' content as well.

So while Elgg is providing a great way for the groups to manage their own information, we've been hindered at displaying our own dynamic content, in a seamless fashion. While we can redirect users to leave the Elgg site, and hit our boring php files, I would rather have it all included.

I had felt that creating iframes within admin postings, we can silently redirect them to our php files, while still be encapsulated in the Elgg site and layout.

Let me know if there is any other misunderstandings on what we are trying to accomplish. The admin requirement would be a "nice-to-have" functionality, but not necessarily required. It's in Intranet install.

-Jeff

• I also would like to have the possibility to give the user permission to embed iFrames. I'd like to use it for Google Docs embedding.

• In the htmlawed mod, I found in the start.php, where you can change the "Safe" flag from true, to false. This, in conjunction with modifying the tinyMCE mod, will let you use iframe, and other applets.

This probably isn't very safe for external sites, but if you trust your internal users, then this should work. It would be nice to still turn it on and off on the fly, but havn't seen where I can actually change the $CONFIG->htmlawed_config values after they are set.

The tinyMCE mod can be modified as such:

nano tinymce/views/default/input/longtext.php

In the "extended_valid_elements : " line, add this to the end of that line:

,iframe[align<bottom?left?middle?right?top|class|frameborder|height|id|longdesc|marginheight|marginwidth|name|scrolling<auto?no?yes|src|style|title|width]

As mentioned, this is probably fine for intranet, but wouldn't recommend it for external users.

• I'll continue my monologue.

I installed the vazco_tinymce,andkept myhtmlawed_config changes, and now have the site working as expected. HTML Code button is only available for Admins, which is fine for the purpose of my site.

Thank you,

-Jeff

• Are you expecting your admins to manually create web pages using the pages plugin?

You could have these pages be automatically created. It wouldn't be that difficult to do assuming your php pages follow some type of standard in their naming convention.

• Right now, we have about 7 php pages that take various parameters to display information. We will be maintaining those outside of the site. The goal of using the iframes is to "stream" data from our primary database, and display in certain blogs or sections of the site, such as SpotLight. This information could be like display the last 10 releases, or give system status information (Is the Source Depot up? Bug tracking system up?).

I don't anticipate using iframes in our every day work.

• If I were doing this, I would publish those status updates as RSS feeds and then use the simplepie library/plugin to suck them in and display them. It should be easy to create the RSS feeds and its easy to ingest them. That gets rid of the clunky iframe.

• I havn't thought about RSS. I've never used them, either reading or creating them. I think its a good idea to pursue that. Through the whole design of the system wide upgrade, we have focused on seperating the data fromthe viewer, so this makes sense.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• RSS is a cheap way of doing this. Another option is web services. That would require more work, but it would give you more flexibility.