A few newb questions.

After hacking around joomla for a good long while, ELGG looks refreshing. I've been all over these community forums and plugin forums (will go back over them again too) and have set up an install (very easily done) with 1.7.1 and could use a few tips and ideas on why I might be having some problems.

• plugin order - obviously there are some conflicts. From experience, how best to determine if one causes a problem for another? Place it at top, bottom and work your way up or down, or disable  one by one, or ..... is there a better way?
  • chat - not a big one for me, but I have loaded two of them (elggchat and elggchat dark) and for both the toolbar appears at bottom in Firefox, not IE. That said, it doesn't seem to do anything in Firefox except sit there as a blank bar even when using two different browsers trying to get two logged in users connected.  What are likely conflicts, or am I doing something wrong?
  • adsense - have tried the few plugins available here and they also don't appear to do anything in IE. In Firefox, the spotlight will expand its size, but nothing shows. Hmmm, not sure about that! I've also played with the footer and spotlight and made the ads appear live, but not sure if that is safe - alignment also seems non-optimal. It appears there are modules one can buy, but as I'm only looking for enough revenue to pay the hosting fee each month, I'd prefer not to buy at this point.
  • tinymce - there are several plugs available - most work, except one of the most recent ones with the most features fails in Firefox. I'm wondering about security though (and for all parts of the site for that matter) if the tinymce packaged with them is not the most recent version available.
  • Other questions would be about themes, menu systems and adding html, but the above is a good start.

Not sure if any of these questions are worthwhile to others,  but thanks in advance for any replies or further links to reading.

Best regards!

• Welcome. You still have the Elgg wiki to read through ;)

For example: http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Plugin_order

In my experience, plugins shouldn't have conflicts with other plugins if they are well written. The rare exceptions are

• plugins that both include the same javascript library
    • a plugin that explicitly modifies another plugin (example, profile manager and the profile plugin that comes with Elgg) - there order matters - the modifier needs to be lower.

I recommend slowly adding plugins. If you find a conflict, disable until you find the two that conflict. If it is an order issue, flip their order. Otherwise, you won't be able to use both and this should be reported to the plugin authors. There are things in the works to do a better job with these types of issues in Elgg 1.8.

I don't think any of the chat plugins have been updated in a while so I wouldn't use them on Elgg 1.7. Anyone who knows otherwise can correct me here.

There will be some tweaks to the tinymce plugin that will be included in Elgg 1.7.2. Don't know if that will include a newer version of TinyMCE. I have no knowledge of any of the other TinyMCE plugins.