Object title tools

Hello!

I-m looking at implementing a number of plugins that provide little indicators or tools next to the object title. Like on the screen at the bottom.

Thing is i didn-t find a nice view to override for this, so i added a view called "tools/object". plugins can extend this to add their own tools. Of course, this needs changes on a few places on the core and some plugins (next to all titles)...

my question is, do you think this is a good approach? I'd like to see this possible without core hacks for an upcoming version of elgg maybe :).

greetings

title indicators

• We're doing the same sort of thing on our website.  Style is a little different, but I think little icons or buttons like that would definitely be useful.

Also, there's no need to edit core to accomplish this now, but you do need to create a lot of almost-identical views that override the core views.

In terms of a "standard" way of doing this, I think your best bet is to look at the little dropdown menu that comes down over users and see how that's done.  I don't know if this is going to change or whatever, but that's the closest thing to what you're talking about that's implemented already.

• yeah, true... i can do it by overriding a lot of views so i dont really have to modify the core.

the problem is without some standard way to do this on elgg you need to be on the look for other plugins which might override the same views, so ideally we would decide on some standard and follow it on all plugins, then this kind of tools become possible much easier for everyone. i decided to just modify the core because i dont like to make a whole copy of a view just to add one line but if we release it (and we like to release everything) of course this have to be moved to some kind of compatibility layer plugin that just overrides base views.

ah.. and generally the users are delighted with this controls :)

btw, Evan, would love to see what you-re doing on your site if you want to share :).

greetings

• Most of the controls are for privileged users only, so unfortunately you won't be able to see them.  In any case, the website is here: https://courseware.stanford.edu.

• If this is a common need, it should be in core. Why doesn't someone create a trac ticket for it?