From localhost to godaddy

My Elgg is running on Windows+XAMPP. The godaddy is a linux hosting.

I find that it is not enough to successfully porting Elgg from localhost to godaddy hosting by merely modifying the /engine/settings.php.

• I have also replaced  the database fields including localhost or xampp with proper value. It does not yet work normally. 

• The directory for mydomain.com is /home/content/s/t/u/stumble/html. The directory for dg.mydomain.com is /home/content/s/t/u/stumble/html/dg. My elgg is the later one.

When I try to log in, a error apears.

Not Found
    The requested URL /dg/engine/handlers/action_handler.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at dg.mydomain.com Port 80

I modify one sentence of the .htaccess from

RewriteRule ^action\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-\/]+)$ /engine/handlers/action_handler.php?action=$1

to

RewriteRule ^action\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-\/]+)$ /home/content/s/t/u/stumble/html/dg/engine/handlers/action_handler.php?action=$1

When I try to log in, the same error apears.

Not Found
    The requested URL /home/content/s/t/u/stumble/html/dg/engine/handlers/action_handler.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at dg.mydomain.com Port 80

• These are all I can think of. Who can give me some other hints? Thanks!

• sounds like, you have not rewritten the base url in .htaccess

one thing you can do is, install on godaddy per, their install methods, then upload your version to replace thier files, DO NOT push the settings file or .htaccess, and be carefull of the secret key!

• Juipo

Just advice from my experiance, Godaddy is great for domain registrations but when it comes to hosting (especially Elgg) you will get a lots of errors as your user count grows. just my personal experiance.

• :-) No argument from me. 

• @phooe

Thanks for your hints. It's very important. I try to change the RewriteBase in .htaccess. The results are as following:

RewriteBase /home/content/s/t/u/stumble/html/dg/
    The requested URL /home/content/s/t/u/stumble/html/dg/engine/handlers/action_handler.php was not found on this server.

RewriteBase /dg/
    The requested URL /dg/engine/handlers/action_handler.php was not found on this server.

RewriteBase /
    The requested action (login) was not defined in the system.

It does not yet work. But anyway, the last one seems another problem.

• @Juipo Web Design

If so, I will consider other hosting providers.

• Godaddy told us that the mod_rewrite is installed on their Linux servers by default. But I can't find mod_rewrite whithin the list of loaded modules by using phpinfo().

• Juipo

@Blue

I just had many clients that were on Godaddy and after a while they would start getting 500 server errors which dissapeared after the migration. It is probably ok for testing.