Demo Password, Showcase sites, Forums

I'm trying to evaluate Elgg and I think I hate it before I even started!

What is the password for the demo backend?

Is there a "proper" link somewhere to a list of sites created with Elgg? I looked at the Showcase discussion group and it lists 4 dead fish.

Is this the only forum available for Elgg users, the format is appalling! Why so many different groups, it makes it virtually impossible to find anything.

I know I won't make any fiends with this post, but believe me I usually don't complain at all!

• @PurpleEdge,

I think all the points you raise are valid. And, yes, the issue how difficult it is to find anything has also been raised before. I do believe that the elgg team are working on improving search and re-organise the groups system. 

From my experience, and I should mention that I worked with almost all of the major SN scripts on the market, both free and commercial, it is almost impossible to produce your social network, the way you want it to be, unless you deploy, try and experiment with it. 

At the same time, Elgg is relatively young and it is being developed as time goes by drawing on its users' feedback, one of which is yours. This community is an example of the default elgg, add or take a few minor features. But ultimately, I don't have to like the code that drives this community, and frankly, I don't, yet, I can make modifications to create my own SN function the way I desire. That in itself is an appealing feature to me as a developer.

• For a list of Elgg sites, check the Elgg wiki here: http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Sites_powered_by_Elgg

Too many groups on this site is a known issue as Carlos mentioned.

I don't believe the demo site at demo.elgg.org provides a backend login for testers.

• Hi Cash,

Your link to the demo site on the elgg home page goes straight to the login page??? What's the point if you can't login? Do we really have to install it to see the backend?

• Do you see the register link on the login?

• Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the feedback - I think I have looked at too many cms recently and I'm a bit punch drunk <g> I'm looking for a social networking tool like elgg. I like that there is documentation. I would like that there is a supportive community, and maybe that will be enhanced by better communication tools in the future.

• Thanks Dhrup.De.Scoop and Cash - I'll have a closer look at some of these sites.

• Cash, - no - there is no register link. I think tried to login with my elgg login and failed? I thought there would be a demo site that auto refreshed every couple of hours - like at opensourcecms.com

• Make sure you are not going to demo.elgg.com (which I think is a closed beta) but demo.elgg.org. There is a register link there.

The demo at elgg.org auto-refreshes once a week, but is very bare bones and doesn't provide admin access. I don't know why.