how long would it take to create a new site using Elgg

Hi there, I'm working with some friends to build a new social network site for people from our country and we are trying to decide which app to use, specifically Elgg or Dolphin.  My friends already purchased Dolphin but I've found that it's very hard to find documentation/instructions on how to do things in Dolphin so I'm looking into Elgg as an alternative.  Do you have any opinion on Dolphin vs Elgg in terms of features, usability, supportability, etc.  Does Elgg have video chat?  Do I need to purchase a module if I want to have youtube on my site? How long would it take us to create our site using Elgg given that we have no experience with it and we are new at developing a website but I have programming background? Your advise will be great appreciated.

• Dolphin vs Elgg

Elgg is purely opensource as it says, but dolphin is not.

features, usability,

Elgg is still in its early childhood, but its highly potent even now.

supportability,

The elgg community offers good  support

video chat

No.

Do I need to purchase a module if I want to have youtube on my site?

No, izap videos is there

How long would it take us to create our site using Elgg given that we have no experience with it and we are new at developing a website but I have programming background?

Two minutes for installation, setting up and creating the first user.

• One can have Video chat on Elgg using Toksta. Just google it a bit.

• Since you are writing about "purchases" I assume that you want to setup a commercial website. Me too.

So the good thing about dolphin might be that there could be several professional add-ons / plugins - that even deal with money (e.g. at the moment you won't find a paypal plugin for ELGG!). As far as I understand Boonex (the company behind dolphin) has started years ago with a dating script - which is/was ultimately a money-making business.  What I see is that they (Boonex) are trying to update their product but I believe that it is very difficult for a company to cut its roots...

This is were ELGG shines: It's a studensts project - no pressure from the financial department at the beginning. The kernel is clearly seperated from the plugins and there is no business logic hidden inside. But regarding business again: What's worse is that there is no "professionell" development service right now. A lot of plugins were left abbondened month or even years ago - you wont know if the developer ever will come back...

I really love ELGG from a technical perspective (no SQL code in the view; there is a MVC established in ELGG). But is it ready for prime time...? I dunno, havent seen a production website with ELGG yet.

Just my 2 cents, hope that helps...

• Thanks so much to all of you who responded to my post!  Webgalli was correct that it didn't take much time at all to install and get the site up & running. It took me more than 2 minutes because I was rusty and I ran into some permission problem, but I'm totally impressed on how easy it was to install.  My friends/partners purchased the no-ads version from Dolphin a few months ago before they ran into me, and I really had a problem with the lack of documentation and poor support (it took them 3 days to answer my email.

Thanks also for letting me know about izap videos  and Toksta! I'll check them out.

BY the way, I have more questions

1) Can you point me to good websites for themes and templates?  I downloaded a few last night but they had some problems.

2) I have trouble logging on to my test site using IE7 only on some computers.  Are you guys aware of any compatibility issues with IE?

Thanks a bunch!

• @LekSJ -

IE7 does have quirks that affect web sites generally, not just Elgg ;-(

If you're intested in getting a good custom theme for your Elgg site - send WebGalli a private message - He can do that for you at a reasonable cost ;-) Trust me.. I know him... and if you tell him I sent you - he'll give you a discount as well.

• Thanks for the suggestion, @DhrupDeScoop!