Site notifications failure

Site notifications activated. And when trying its functionality, it notifies only of likes but not of any other stuff, e.g. comments on blog articles.
As I've found, it was dealt with before, some 5–6 years ago. And the system has developed since then. Mine is version 4.0. It was then proposed to inspect 3rd party plugins which could override this in some way. But it's not the case – after temporarily deactivating all external and also many internal plugins, it remains the same.
Any hint where to find the possible error, including changes of the code if necessary?

• In order for most notifications to work you need a working CRON process http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/admin/cron.html

Also make sure you wish to receive site notifications about a person or group in your notification settings.

• In order to check if your cron is working you can check the admin widget on the admin dashboard or got to http://yoursite/admin/cron

• Well, with a one-minute cron, it seems to be functioning now. Although not sure whether consistently each time.
    Anyway, I would be interested why in case of likes and friendship requests the cron is not necessary, it's enough to reload/refresh the page to receive an up-to-date direct notification, while in case of the comments the cron is required.
    And the Site notifications don't include administration stuff such as validation requests – these come at least by e-mail.

• Anyway, I would be interested why in case of likes and friendship requests the cron is not necessary, it's enough to reload/refresh the page to receive an up-to-date direct notification

These kind of notifications go to one recipient so we can do this directly

in case of the comments the cron is required.

These kind of notifications go to a (potentially) large group of users. Having the acting user wait until al these notifications would have been send out to take a long while.

So we moved this to a different process (CRON)