My ISAM or InnoDB

I read somewhere that we should use innodb or convert my isam to innodb in mysql. It's said that it will be good as it will be faster for database processing.

Is it right ? If yes how we convert myisam to innodb ? I think the default used in my local web server (im using WAMP) is myisam. Please tell me how to do this its because my webserver is very slow eventhough its still local.

• local WAMP web server ? why bother with InnoDB for a development platform ?
    Mengapa tidak cari pada Google ? LOLZ
    http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/46370

• because i dont know about InnoDB vs myisam. I tried local WAMP webserver and its very slow just for 3 users.. any idea dhrup ?? tolong saya ;)

• Ayoh ;-)
    lihat disini --> http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/46370
    your wamp is slow for other reasons....;-( not related to MyIsam / InnoDB.
    My PC XAMPP/MyISAM/1MB is slower than live server/MyISAM/16GB ;-(

• I don't recommend playing with the core tables.  Some core features require (or will require) that the tables be in MyISAM format.  Speed isn't one of the biggest benefits of InnoDB vs MyISAM, so I think it might be more bother than worth to convert right now...

• Hi, Brett.

We have Elgg working on Mac OS X Server Leopard, MySQL version 5.0.6.7_log and we are having a lot of trouble with data corruption and so on.  Maybe during the backup procedure, because of lock...

For this specific case, do you recommend change to InnoDB ?

Thanks in advance,

Luis

• One of the frustrating things about MySQL is that you are forced to choose between MyISAM and InnoDB.

InnoDB has transactions, more reliability and row-level locking. It *should* be the obvious choice.

Unfortunately, MySQL's native full text search engine only works with MyISAM right now.

I looked at the Elgg 1.7 search code and it appears to be set up to use binary mode if required, so it will work (although slowly) with a sort-of faux full text search for InnoDB.

So at the moment, you have a choice between reliability or true and faster full text search.

It seems to be an unreasonable choice to me, but it is not Elgg's fault.

I hope that one day someone will add true full text search to InnoDB. However, given that Oracle has now absorbed MySQL, I am sceptical that this is going to happen.

• Table elggsystem_log can't work properly in Innodb when elgg_chat is enable because insert delayed is unupported

Loggin and LogOut raise

DatabaseException

DELAYED option not supported for table 'elggsystem_log' QUERY: INSERT DELAYED into elggsystem_log (object_id, object_class, object_type, object_subtype, event, performed_by_guid, owner_guid, access_id, enabled, time_created) VALUES ('229','ElggObject','object', 'elggchat_session', 'annotate',2, 3, 1, 'yes', '1269520041')

other tables without fulltext index working properly in our installation

• Kevin describes the problem exactly.  It's a horrible choice to make.  

For Luis's situation, I think it is more important to find out WHY the data corruption is happening in the first place.  Lots of large sites running Elgg aren't having DB corruption problems, so it might be worth investigating other aspects of your installation first.

@an224 - The delayed queries aren't from the Elgg chat plugin--Elgg uses delayed queries be default for writing to the system log.

• I am working on project where i have some specific requirements and tried to find answers of following:

Why did Elgg opt for "MyISAM"?

What i can think about is, FullText Search. Otherwise InnoDB must be the choice. Is there any other reason?

FullText search in our case?

I'm using ElasticSearch for the fulltext search. So obviously i can think about to move to InnoDB and i tried. But as Kelvin is saying, Stuck on "Insert Delayed" queries. Okay i can change in the core.

My Question is, does this only place where i need to make that change or i'm going to face more issues?

And Did i make right choice when i have solution of fulltext search?

• Okay, i tried almost every case and make it work with innodb. But i found db writes are too slow over innodb especially for elgg. Do not know the exact reason. But Seems to me, Queries generated by elgg engine are not optimized for InnoDB.