Redirect issue found

I'm new the the whole Elgg platform. I've had it in mind for a few years, but never had the chance to really use it. Now that I've been let loose, I'm loving it.

I have however, think I may have discovered a redirect issue - developers may be aware, but this is just an explanation as to how I came across it.

I'm running Elgg 2.3.15 on Ubuntu 18.04 and PHP 7 via a reverse proxy

I got the site up really easily, but after adjusting a few options in the admin dashboard, I received errors from both Firefox and Chrome about too many redirects - this is when I logged out and attempted to visit the site again

After deleting my test site and starting again, I've identified the issue and can replicate it on demand.

On the admin dashboard under advanced settings I've set the default access permissions to Friends.

Under the site access heading, if you uncheck the Allow new users to register and check the Restrict pages to logged-in users option, this causes multiple redirects and the site crashes.

If you then swap these two options around, the site loads, but will show multiple warnings (in the default theme) down the right hand side 'You must be logged in to view this page'

The way to work around the issue is to either check both options or uncheck both options.... I hope this helps

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.