Setting and Retrieving Current Variables

My elgg installation allows a user to create separate spaces and to use objects within each space independently.  A new object should use the space as its default container.  I think I would like to set the space in the session variable and retrieve it using a function.  Unfortunately, I don't know how.

Can you tell me how to set the space in the session and retrieve it using a (new) function like "get_current_space()"?  I don't know how I should do either of those things.

Maybe there's a better way?  I'm certainly open to recommendations.

• You can retrieve the current session of the user by calling `elgg_get_session()` this will result in an \ElggSession object.

You can set any value you wish by doing the following

$session = elgg_get_session();
    $session->current_space_id = 12335;

To use the stored variable simply use

$session = elgg_get_session();
    $current_space_id = $session->current_space_id;

Hope this helps

• "Session" might not be what I was looking for.  Elgg's session object does not seem to store the current_space_id for AMD requests between page refreshes.  Is there a way to store the variable more persistently?  Would using a JSON object be advisable?  I need good advice as much as I do answers.

• I don't know enough to know if there's any way to save a session id persistently over AMD requests.

What about using cookies? Would that be a possibility to save a session id on the client side to identify the session?