Trouble getting rid of access collection

In one of my plugins I let the owner of an entity designate other team members who can view it:

$entity->team_access_list = create_access_collection("Our Team: $entity->title", $my_guid);
$entity->save();
$team_guids = // some function to return GUIDs of team members
update_access_collection($entity->team_access_list, $team_guids);

This works as intended.  Only members of the team can see the entity.  I also let the owner set the read access to public instead, so anyone can see it:

delete_access_collection($entity->team_access_list);
$entity->deleteMetadata('team_access_list');
$entity->access_id = ACCESS_PUBLIC;
$entity->save();
register_error("Entity access_id: $entity->access_id"); // yay, shows 2

But it's not actually setting the access_id back to public.  access_id is staying set to the access collection id, and I can't seem to change it.  I can only get it set back to ACCESS_PUBLIC if I trigger the above code as the site admin.

I haven't done a lot with ACL's in Elgg, so I'm probably missing something obvious.  Any ideas?  Thank you!

• Try don't use delete_access_collection($blog->team_access_list);

• Thanks for the suggestion, RvR.  I tried that but unfortunately the same issue is occurring.

It's really puzzling to me that I can do:

$entity->save();
    register_error("Entity access_id: $entity->access_id");

..and it shows the id is 2.  But the next time I access the entity the access_id is set back to the value of $entity->team_access_list.  It's almost like my user doesn't have write access on the access collection it created, nor the team_access_list metadata it created.

• Put your code in ignore_access function:

// ignore access
    $ia = elgg_set_ignore_access(true);

delete_access_collection($entity->team_access_list);
    $entity->deleteMetadata('team_access_list');
    $entity->save();

// reset access
    elgg_set_ignore_access($ia);

register_error("Entity access_id: $entity->access_id"); // yay, shows 2

• Thanks RvR.  No dice though.  Just as before, my register_error() indicates the access_id is 2 immediately after saving.  But anytime thereafter when I examine the access_id it's still set to the access collection id that was originally created.

However, I did discover that $entity->deleteMetadata('team_access_list') is working properly at least.  When I view my entity I'm printing out access_id / $entity->team_access_list, and I see "123 / "  

I'm starting to wonder if I have some other plugin that's interfering with my write access to the access collection.  I certainly can't seem to delete it unless I'm operating on it with the admin account.

• But anytime thereafter when I examine the access_id it's still set to the access collection id that was originally created.

Maybe an access level override is being triggered somewhere in your code.

• Ok, I think I have an idea what's going on, though I'm still not sure of the root cause.

I found that if I change the access_id during an action (like the edit action of the entity in question), it works fine.  But if I change the access_id in a view, or change it when the action is invoked via AJAX, it doesn't work.

I could see why Elgg wouldn't allow access_id (or other entity properties) to be modified in views.  I'm not sure why calling my action from AJAX seems to have the same issue.

• Hahah, fair enough.

I finally figured this out: I discovered that my entity has a canEdit() function that was returning false under some circumstances.  Those circumstances just happened to coincide with when I was attempting to call my actions via AJAX.  So the AJAX was a red herring after all.