Migrating elgg to a new server

Can anyone provide pointers for migrating elgg to a new install on another server? I tried using the information found at (http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/How_do_I_move_my_site%3F#Search_and_replace_on_database_dump_file) only it doesn't work.

I have tried performing this after setting up a new elgg susyem using the setup Wizard and by editing the settings file directly. In both cases it's almost like elgg ignores these settings and creates new stuff anyway.

Anyone ever done this?

Thanks, John

• Your sequence looks good. It's able to connect to the database because you aren't getting an exception on connection. It is not able to find that table. It is able to find some tables (assuming you're using Elgg 1.2 which checks to see if tables exist in the boot process).

I would check the database name very carefully, check the table name very carefully, check that the table has data, do a mysql restart, and then hit your elgg site again. 

• maybe --

/engine/settings.php

// Database name
                $CONFIG->dbname = ?

• stracth.. I didn't read that far back..

• Yes, I am very lost. I check database name, prefix, table name, etc. I can view the data, select the data without error.

Any other hints?

• What's "he db is a direct mySql db backup" ?

Verified data  on information_schema and mysql ?

Musty be something simple b/c "Elgg doesn't think tables exist"...

• I am new to MySql, more of a MSSQL guy. The MySql backup came from my GoDaddy hosted site and I used their MySql tool to perform a backup. I then FTP'd the backup to this new server and used MySQL Administrator from Sun to restore the dump to the new schema.

Does that answer your question?

• Try this:

Open up a cmd window and run mysql (you may have to put mysql in your path).The command you want to run to start mysql is "mysql --user=<db user name> --password=<db user password>"

Then type "USE the0905308554672;"

Then type "SELECT * FROM elggdatalists;"

Let us know what the results are...

• not exactly -- if you look into the backup - do you see mysql statement & creates & inserts ?

maybe post the first few lines here...

• Here are the first lines for the first table:

--
    -- Table structure for table `elgg_access_collection_membership`
    --

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `elgg_access_collection_membership`;
    CREATE TABLE `elgg_access_collection_membership` (
      `user_guid` int(11) NOT NULL,
      `access_collection_id` int(11) NOT NULL,
      PRIMARY KEY  (`user_guid`,`access_collection_id`)
    ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

• Cash,

not found if I issue "SELECT * FROM elggdatalists;" but FOUND if I type "SELECT * FROM elgg_datalists;"

So that's my problem, the table name difference. Does that have something to do with the prefix?

Good work!