when will production Elgg 3 be released

I am just wondering when Elgg 3 will become available for production sites and how long Elgg 2.3.x will be maintained/updated after that as I think I would prefer 2.3.x until most plugins are updated to use with Elgg 3.and php7.1 or 7.2 although with php 5.6 being dropped in December I guess there will not be much choice to use old plugins with 2.3.x

• Elgg 3 will be released when it's ready. Sorry, I don't know a release date...

Support policy of Elgg: http://learn.elgg.org/en/3.0/appendix/support.html. So, you will receive bugfixes for 2.3 one year after release of 3.0 (and security fixes even until the release of 4.0).

Elgg 2.3 also works with PHP 7, so you can upgrade PHP and still stay on Elgg 2.3 for the time being until the 3rd party plugins get released for Elgg 3 (before upgrading to PHP 7+ I would still suggest to test compatibility of 3rd party plugins with the new PHP version as some might not be fully compatible even if Elgg core itself is).

• does elgg 2.3.x support php 7.1 or 7.2 or just 7? silly question maybe but i was just wondering and will elgg 3 support 7.2?

• Elgg 3 works fine with php 7.2 as far as I have tested

• Elgg 2.3 should also work fine with PHP 7.1 and 7.2, too. Elgg core does and common 3rd party plugins should work fine, too. Though there might be some 3rd party plugin that might need some fix. But that would be a matter of testing, reporting the issue / fixing the issue.