elgg not loading, blank pages

hello everyone,

recently my group has decided to load blank page when i load the site up, the error log is showing errors but i dont fully understand it, could anyone help please.

now i get the same error even after renewing the error_log file (downloading and deleteing the old one for the system to create a new file)

error log below

[24-Aug-2017 04:14:40 Europe/London] Exception at time 1503544480: Error: Call to undefined function Elgg\mysql_connect() in /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Database.php:144
Stack trace:
#0 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Database.php(123): Elgg\Database->establishLink('readwrite')
#1 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/lib/elgglib.php(1866): Elgg\Database->setupConnections()
#2 [internal function]: _elgg_engine_boot('boot', 'system', NULL)
#3 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/EventsService.php(56): call_user_func_array('_elgg_engine_bo...', Array)
#4 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/lib/elgglib.php(571): Elgg\EventsService->trigger('boot', 'system', NULL)
#5 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/start.php(78): elgg_trigger_event('boot', 'system')
#6 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/index.php(55): require_once('/home/group1/...')
#7 {main}
[24-Aug-2017 04:14:40 Europe/London] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function Elgg\mysql_real_escape_string() in /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Database.php:651
Stack trace:
#0 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/lib/database.php(141): Elgg\Database->sanitizeString('cookies')
#1 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Database/ConfigTable.php(165): sanitize_string('cookies')
#2 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Config.php(111): Elgg\Database\ConfigTable->get('cookies', 0)
#3 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Di/ServiceProvider.php(207): Elgg\Config->get('cookies')
#4 [internal function]: Elgg\Di\ServiceProvider->Elgg\Di\{closure}(Object(Elgg\Di\ServiceProvider))
#5 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Di/DiContainer.php(76): call_user_func(Object(Closure), Object(Elgg\Di\ServiceProvider))
#6 /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Di/DiContainer.php(56): Elgg\Di\D in /home/group1/public_html/group1/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Database.php on line 651

• Deleting the error log won't fix the problem. Looks like your database has crashed, try repairing the tables using phpmyadmin.

• yea i no deleteing the errorlog wont fix it, i wanted to get a new fresh log so i could paste it here,

ok i will try that tho

• sok so far i have discovered its the database it self and not the elgg. i have tried a new fresh install of 2.3.3. and 1.12.16 of elgg pointing to the databases, elgg groups are fine but the data bases is not, any other suggestions please.

also no sucess with repairing the database option, i repaired it but didnt solve it

• i got a another when i try the upgrade option on the address bar

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function Elgg\mysql_real_escape_string() in /home/000000000/public_html/elgg1/engine/classes/Elgg/Database.php:651 Stack trace: #0 /home/000000000/public_html/elgg1/engine/lib/database.php(141): Elgg\Database->sanitizeString('cookies') #1 /home/000000000/public_html/elgg1/engine/classes/Elgg/Database/ConfigTable.php(165): sanitize_string('cookies') #2 /home/000000000/public_html/elgg1/engine/classes/Elgg/Config.php(111): Elgg\Database\ConfigTable->get('cookies', 0) #3 /home/000000000/public_html/elgg1/engine/classes/Elgg/Di/ServiceProvider.php(207): Elgg\Config->get('cookies') #4 [internal function]: Elgg\Di\ServiceProvider->Elgg\Di\{closure}(Object(Elgg\Di\ServiceProvider)) #5 /home/000000000/public_html/elgg1/engine/classes/Elgg/Di/DiContainer.php(76): call_user_func(Object(Closure), Object(Elgg\Di\ServiceProvider)) #6 /home/000000000/public_html/elgg1/engine/classes/Elgg/Di/DiContainer.php(56): Elgg\Di\DiContainer->build(Object(Closure), 'session') #7 /home/000000000/public_html/e in /home/000000000/public_html/elgg1/engine/classes/Elgg/Database.php on line 651

were u see 000000000 i used that in stead of my control panel user name on here.

• Does the error occur all the time or only intermittently? In the latter case it might be that the number of mysql connections in my.cnf is used up (high number of users on your site?). I can only guess that this might be the reason in case of intermittent errors though.

If the error is happening all the time, do you have made any changes in the php config on the server, e.g. updated it? It might be that the mysql php extension is not avaiiable anymore. I would suggest to check the php installation on your server to make sure that the mysql php extension is installed and loaded.

• ok the error is happening full stop,

i tried a completely different install via the hosting control panel, and that works ok,. no problems what so ever i did try point the new 2.3.3 version to an old database same error

so i went to try and install the old version again either via the hosting control panel or manually and its telling me the following errors

hosting control panel error:

The following errors were found :

• Required PHP version less than 7.0.0 AND found version is : 7.1.8

===============

Manual Install of uploading the version to the server.: error
    Elgg requires the PHP extension mysql.

if its saying a php error then to me i cant do that , the hosting needs to sort that out far as i no

• Elgg versions older than 2.3 won't fully work on php 7. Not sure if there's any new compatibility issues with 7.1. As I understood it, your original Elgg version is Elgg 1.12 or older. In this case you need to use php 5.6, i.e. downgrade php. And mysql php extension is also necessary for Elgg 1.x whereas Elgg 2.x uses pdo php extension for database connections.

• thank you my friend that has solved the problem, really am great ful :) my groups are back online :)pat your self on the back :)