Elgg 2.3.3 installation problem

Hi guys,

I am new here and I just successfully tested elgg 2.3.3 on my Windows PC with XAMPP.
It all worked well, the installation was successful and I studied the engine a little bit. Now I ordered a new domain name and I uploaded a fresh version of elgg 2.3.3. to the webspace. /public_html/foldername <- That's where the domain points to as subdirectory. Every single page I ever worked with had absolutely not problems with this setup. Yet I cannot install elgg on it because everytime I open my URL it says:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I tried changing the .htaccess file with the RewriteBase function to /foldername/ but the same error still comes up. What could be the problem. I am not sure where to find the error log file. I contacted my support and they uploaded a php test file PHP 5.35 something and it worked right away. So I am wondering what the problem is, why I can't get the install to run. I already created a new Database and also the Data folder.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Best,
Tanja

• What PHP version does your server run? Elgg requires 5.6

• Thank you! I realized that the server was running a lower version after a few tries. I changed it to 5.6 and then it suddenly worked. However the server is not the best, it was extremely slow, site failed to load after changes etc. So I uninstalled it again, need to wait with that until I could change to a new hosting service.

In the meantime I am testing it further on my computer with localhost! :)

• Tangjeria, you may want to look here at impact for either unmanaged VPS or shared hosting. I have found them to be the best and cheapest for either and they have elgg 2.3.3 in their script panel on shared. You can ticket/email them for advice on which type/account level will serve you better. If I shouldn't post this then please delete it but I am just trying to help, for a good host is important.