After upgrade 1.5 to 1.6, some, 10%, of users lost their profile photo :(

On test server upgrade to 1.6 went fine. On production we have problem that some - we dont know how many, maybe 10%, lost their avatar/photo!

Strange is that these people still show in the list of latest users, but now with the dummy profile photo and, normally it shows only people with a photo. So, the system still know these people have a photo, but Elgg just can not find it anymore. Further, if user upload a new photo, the old photo shows again instead of the new one! No photo upload is possible...

We lost ideas... anybody ??

Note: this discussion was reposted ... as for some reason, others could not see the discussion...might have been access, but could not change that

• @Terje :  if you used Windows to ftp the files.... yes... Windows does not see difference between "h" and "H" ... quite unfortunate that Elgg did not forsee this when making the structure. Now you have to ask your provider to make a tar file of your data directory and download that....

• @dhrup: how did you do this; assuming only ftp access to server ofcourse, as this would be the case with shared hosting?

• @Tom @Dhrup I guess my bad was using a USB-dongle FAT-32 to transfer the files. Will test with a tar/zip file from our prod install instead (I'm kind of my own provider:) at least for my local ubuntu based test install.)

• For the original problem stated in this thread, is anyone using Elgg on a Windows server?  I need to see some example output of how Windows deals with certain characters in directory paths...

FYI, a solution is forthcoming, but needs to be tested on my side first.

• A solution in SVN at http://code.elgg.org/elgg/releases/core/elgg1.6.2/

This will be 1.6.2 but I need more people than just me to test it.  Please, everyone having this problem, install this version on your test server and run upgrade.php and report the results here.  I'm holding off releasing 1.6.2 until more people can test it.

• @Brett I just downloaded the 1.6.2 code and it didn't fix the issue I have with profile pics not showing up for users who have spaces in their usernames.

• Spaces in usernames dates back to Elgg 1.1 or Elgg 1.2. It is not a 1.5->1.6 issue. I think users were prevented from using spaces in usernames starting with 1.2.

• @Sean P -- Just confirming...You've run upgrade.php and it successfully updated your database?

• Ran 1.6.2 first over our development server, Ubuntu, and all fine: both code and database

Then test server - fine :)

Just found that the cache seemed not to be cleared sufficiently. We have to go over the lost pictures with cache off and then they show up and then we can enable cache. Cache on still takes the old pictures.

• @Tom Glad it's working. There's a problem with how simple cache finds the icons. I've implemented a solution for this in the SVN at extensions/plugins/profile but that bit doens't need testing.  The things I'm worried about are files being there, and extended characters showing up correctly in the database AND on the site.  Thanks for testing!  Once I get a few more preliminary reports I'll release.  I might go ahead and do an official RC to get more test cases...