still not receiving emails from elgg.org here... anyone able to help debug this?

for over 6 months i have not been receiving any emails from elgg.org. i would like to get to the bottom of this, particularly since i just realised that if i lose my password i will have no way of logging in.

i have checked my mail server and the DKIM service is active, along with dovecot, postfix and spamassassin etc.

this is what i see in the mail log:

Sep 27 17:08:45 www postfix/smtpd[17934]: connect from elgg2.osuosl.org[140.211.15.97]
Sep 27 17:08:46 www postfix/smtpd[17934]: disconnect from elgg2.osuosl.org[140.211.15.97] ehlo=1 mail=0/1 rcpt=0/1 data=0/1 rset=0/1 quit=1 commands=2/6

i have nothing more to go on at this point. i think postfix in fedora is meant to be outputting to my main mail log and i am not seeing a postfix log anywhere. anyone got a clue? thanks

• Possible reason for your error (found at https://forum.netcup.de/anwendung/imap-pop3/8014-postfix-nimmt-nicht-alle-mails-an/)

Your mailserver might enforce encryption (smtpd_tls_security_level = encrypt) and maybe the mails from elgg.org are blocked because the server does not encrypt them (or maybe something configured wrongly with the certificate etc.). It might help to change "encrypt" to "may" in main.cf config file of postfix:

smtpd_tls_security_level = may

• thanks for the tip. i did have that value set to 'encrypt' and i had already set the smtp_tls_security_level to 'may' several months ago because i found that a lot of emails weren't reaching me.

however, having made sure both those parameters are set to 'may' and restarted postfix, it hasn't made any difference to the situation with elgg.org. i also found earlier that the dkim process on my server was stopped, but starting it didn't solve the challenge either.

• Does elgg.org support DKIM? Even if it's supposed to do, maybe something is faulty on the elgg.org server? @ADMINS???

• ahhh.. the problem WAS caused by the setting you pointed to, iionly - the issue was that i made the edit to change that parameter today in an editor that was in read-only mode, so the change didn't get saved.. :/

now i have saved the parameter correctly and i am getting mail from elgg.org again.. :)

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.