How to determine what version of elgg is being used and what plugin can be recommeded for my members to upload pictures into their blogs and pages.

First of all I am TOTALLY new to using ELGG and not really that tech savvy unless really layman terms can be used with me.  

I have an ELGG social network site but I immediately noticed two things:

When members want to put pictures in the blogs or pages, they either have the option to ‘embed’ the pictures they want from other sites, not a favourite it seems, but they want to upload them as files and then insert them into their posts. The problem is this:

1.  Once they have uploaded the pics and then inserted them, the images appear as very small icons once the post is published. This is a nightmare and means the readers have to right click on the image they are viewing and open in another tab. Then they click on the image in the new tab to maximise it. They do this so they they don’t exit the main post they are reading. This in and of itself is a pain and a hassle and am certain that there is a better way to deal with this. Why cant the pictures appear large and why should they have to go the long way round just to view them? Surely there is a way to overcome this?

I read somewhere that the way around this is to install a plugin but that this can only be determined by the version of ELGG being used. How do I determine what version I am using, what plugins can be used to solve this curse of a hassle and then how do I go about installing this plugin without hopefully messing up the rest of my hard work that has on into setting up this site.