How to initialize an Elgg JS function?

Conventional jQuery function works using my_function() but elgg.my_plugin.my_function doesn't work?

• Here's a quick way to do modules.

Just throw your js into a real .js file in the view system

views/default/js/myplugin/module1.js

In your php when you need to load this js simply call

elgg_require_js('myplugin/module1');

Elgg will automagically know where that file is, take care of the caching, everything.  No need to use elgg_define_js if you use the view system.

In the js file itself:

define(['require', 'jquery', 'elgg'], function(require, $, elgg) {

// do something

alert('test');

// use jquery

$(document).on('click', '#mylink', function(e) { alert('clicked'); });

// require some other js

require(['myplugin/module2'], function() {

// do something when it's loaded

});

// use elgg core js

if (elgg.is_logged_in()) {

alert('logged in');

}
    });

• Looks simple enough but I still wanna use what I know until it's deprecated. 

• is it not deprecated?  I thought the old method was deprecated...

Either way, take the plunge, I just showed you how easy it is and once you do it you'll see it's much nicer :)

• The old way *is* essentially deprecated since Elgg 1.9. But I'm afraid Elgg isn't in fact giving deprecation warnings about it. That needs to be fixed in one of the 2.x releases.

• You know what, I probably need to use an AMD module to re-initialize a function.

@Matt Yeah I'm gonna switch to AMD since it looks easy enough! What will happen to js.php though?

@Juho are you saying elgg_extend_view('elgg.js', 'my_plugin/js'); will be deprecated?

Does 2.0 have a css folder just like js?

• Extending the core js is still an ok solution if you need your js on *every* page.  That's rarely the case though, most of the time you need just a small amount of js in a very specific place, and that's what modules are for.  It keeps things lighter and more manageable.

We'll have to discuss what and how to encourage people to adopt AMD.

Re: css - it doesn't have auto-registered css at the moment as far as I know, I do far less with css than I do with js

• Seems like AMD doesn't play well with functions. It fired up all 3 functions when it supposed to be fired by a trigger.

• Yeah I just tried converting to AMD but it messed up all my jQuery functions. I'm going back to elgg_load_js() and use the old way.

My JS file will be loaded once since it's gonna be ajax driven.

• Seems like AMD doesn't play well with functions. It fired up all 3 functions when it supposed to be fired by a trigger.

AMD is just a specification for how to build js modules. It's not something that triggers functions on its own. There must be something wrong with your code itself.

• @juho here's a sample of my code from memory, I'm not on the computer right now. 

$('a#link').on('click', custom_function);

function custom_function() {

// do elgg.get() Ajax call 

}

It fires every time the page loads. I even checked firebug and it shows Ajax calls.