Clicking on 'Settings' menu option gives error: 'The requested URL /settings/user/admin was not found on this server.'


After upgrading a site from 1.8 to 1.12.3 (replacing files at each stage and following the elgg upgrade rules), I have noticed that users cannot access their settings page. It gives the error:

404 Not Found

The requested URL /settings/user/admin was not found on this server.

This is the case for all users. I have checked things and tried out various things but would not help. Any ideas?


The Apache log only adds the following line which I cannot really interpret as what the problem or solution is.

Negotiation: discovered file(s) matching request: /var/www/subdomain.[mysite].com/settings (None could be negotiated)., referer: http://subdomain.[mysite].com/
  • Syntax error in the Italian translations file of the embed plugin is causing it:

    It will be fixed in the next release. Until then you can fix it by removing the extra slash.

  • Thanks Juho for your reply. I think in my case that is not the problem. I had already fixed it (it was giving me white screen, I think it was confusing Language Selector plugin).

    I wonder what else might be causing it... The only reported case is by someone who upgraded from 1.6 to 1.7 :-) and with not much info..


  • This is far-fetched, but have you accidentally forgotten a copy of your settings.php file in the Elgg installation directory?

  • @CoreDevs: I've not yet used Elgg 1.12 so I can't test myself 1.12.3. But I wonder if this problem could have anything to do with the MultiView issue of Elgg 2.0 because this error message points to a problem with MultiViews exactly. Any PR merged in wrong branch maybe?

    @İşöğüçı Are you sure that you are using Elgg 1.12  - and not Elgg 2.0.0-beta1 by mistake? And is the .htaccess of your site correct, i.e. the same as /install/config/htaccess.dist (apart from any user-specific changes you might have made for your site)?

  • Also, could it have happened that something in your server (Apache) config has changed? You might want to read through

  • Thanks a lot for your ideas. I really appreciate it.

    @Juho On each upgrade, I have modified the settings.example.php which comes with the version and rename it to settings.php. I would like to think that I have not forgotten an old version of settings.php in the directory. But it is a possibility, so I shall re-replace the core files and try again.

    @iionly Admin server info says "Release - 1.12.3, Version - 2015041400".  Normally I take htaccess.dist, modify it and rename to .htaccess in the installation directory. Always possibility that I made a mistake, so I shall repeat.  But first I shall check the serverfault link that you give.


  • @Juho indeed the problem was a settings.example.php file which, for some reason, ended up in the installation directory (i.e. I am flabbergasted to say the least.....

    Thanks Juho and Thanks iionly!