Elgg couldn't connect to the database using the given credentials *****@localhost (pw: ****)

Hi,

Sorry im a newbie and i need help on how to get rid of this prompt. 

• Doh....silly me....I had the elgg directory in the (apple) default Apache directory and not in the MAMP htdocs directory!

All works fine now!!!!

Many thanks

• Nice, glad you got it. Here is another tip. If you use Safari 4, Download the webkit version. 

http://webkit.org/

It's not as much of a memory hog. Runs a little smoother. I've been using it all day and like it much more.

• I also get this error - but on some of the widgets - not the whole site. I could still use the site, however, when clicking on a user profile, some of the widgets get the error.

Any tips how could this fixed? Thanks!

• I can't even connect to the database. Something so simple and it won't work. I have all the settings specified correctly in the settings.php file. I don't know what else to do?

• If your comfortable with myphpadmin go into the database itself.

1: make sure that the tables have been created, if not you probably have some kind of permission issue. Make sure you have installed the .htaccess in the root of your elgg install.

If you have done all that start reading the htaccess file it gives some clues to possible problems and solutions to try If you do all that and still cannot get it to work

Post your question again but give more details I.E. elgg version, server details etc as much info as you know.

• I had the same problem. I deleted the settings.php and .htaccess files that were created. Created a fresh new database with a new name and new user. I found that one issue was with using "localhost" as my server. My particular webhost has a different server name specifically for databases that I always forget about. Once I did all that, the error went away and I'm in!

• I'm getting the same issue on the profile with some of the widgets sometimes. everything seems fine with my install, another problem I have is that the only way I could elgg to install was if I had the directory setup like www.mydomain.com/elgg/elgg

• The error has nothing to do with mode_rewrite.

If you get occasional "couldn't connect" errors, Elgg might be too much for your database server.

• Just in the past couple of days I'm getting this message more and more frequently too, Elgg couldn't connect to the database using the given credentials.

This is not a new installation. I've been running Elgg smoothly since last May and have the latest install, 1.7.7 up. Not sure if this is related, but somewhere along the line an additional system log that looks like system_log_1234... was added. It shows zero rows. The original table has over 67,000 rows. Could this be the source of my problem?