Installation problems

Dear Elggers :)

I am trying to test the latest version of elgg. I have MySQL 5+ and PHP 5.4+ as per requirements.

I am installing on my main domain, I create the data folder in the root as well. After finishing the installation I can see it did not generate the .htaccess file in the root folder so I took the content from install/config/htaccess.dist.

Now when I browse my site, it gives only blank pages. I am using arvixe hosting, how I can check if my mod_rewrite is okay or not ?

Please help me with this installation. 

• Remember to always check also the server error log.

• [29-Jun-2015 09:33:59 UTC] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/zip.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/zip.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

[29-Jun-2015 09:50:09 UTC] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '[' in /home/mydomian/engine/classes/Elgg/Di/ServiceProvider.php on line 202

That's in error log.

Also I copied all the content from this file install/config/htaccess.dist and made a new .htaccess file in the root and pasted the content from htaccess.dist

Still no luck, I remember it was so easy to install elgg before I was using around a year ago. I am back to elgg and trying to use the latest version and I am stuck on installation.

Hope you guys will try to help me with this.

Many hanks in advance 

• [29-Jun-2015 09:50:09 UTC] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '[' in /home/mydomian/engine/classes/Elgg/Di/ServiceProvider.php on line 202

This means that you're in fact *not* running on PHP 5.4.

• You can check your php version with a little php file, let's say phpinfo.php:

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

put that script into your html directory and run it in your browser http://www.yourdomain/phpinfo.php

• @Juho Jaakkola & @Hanzolo Thanks a lot for the reply, I am running the latest PHP 5.5. It should be 5.4 only can't we use higher than that ?

• Are you 100% sure you're not using PHP 5.3? Perhaps you need to restart the server before the PHP 5.5 starts working.

• I think I know the problem, the problem is with .htaccess file

When I upload the files to the root directory then I can see there is no any .htaccess file in there. And when I try to run the installation site says I do not have the required PHP version. So when I change my PHP version to 5.4 and when I come back to my files root folder then I see there is one .htaccess file. That .htaccess file generates when I upgrade the PHP version. 

So I took the content from the /install/config/htaccess.dist  file and pasted in that root  .htaccess file. And now site is white blank. 

I don't know why its so hard now to install elgg :( I used it long time ago and had no any problems like this before. I am stuck here now and I can not do anything. Please would appreciate your kind suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

• Do you still get this error to the error log or did it disappear:

Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '['

• @juho.jaakkola thanks a lot for the follow up. I could not find a way to get rid of that error so I stopped using elgg :(

I can't stop keep coming back to elgg even though I am not using it. But i want to use it for my one site, let me try again installing the elgg.