White page on login page and fatal error

Hi! I'm working in localhost on a Linux Xubuntu installation and I can't register/login on Elgg because the register/login pages are showing a white page.

I see this message on error log:

[02-May-2015 01:50:36 Europe/Berlin] PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required '/var/www/html/xxxx/docroot/pages/account/login.php' (include_path='/opt/lampp/htdocs/develop/griffin/xxxxmod/elgg_drive/vendor/google/apiclient/src:/opt/lampp/htdocs/develop/griffin/griffin-groups/mod/messaging/vendor/htmlpurifier:.:/opt/lampp/lib/php') in /opt/lampp/htdocs/develop/griffin/xxxx/engine/lib/users.php on line 1144

Maybe I have a permissions issue, but I have all folders with read and write permissions, so I really don't understand this issue

Any idea?

Thanks!

• What's the elgg version? Did you make any modifications to your elgg installation?

Any third party plugin?

• @rjcalifornia thanks for your help! I'm working on Elgg 1.8. The plugins are not the problem because this project have a lot of branches and it's working fine on all branches, but my branch is having this rare issue on login and register pages :( I think it's a folder permissions issue because I'm using linux and I'm very noob with linux, that's the true.

•  Finally I got it!

sudo chmod 777 -R /opt/lampp/htdocs

• 777 permissions for the htdocs folder is a BAD idea! This gives write permissions to everyone on this directory to everyone.

It's not only the permissions but also the owner and group the files and directories belong to that are important. Maybe the problem is rather a wrong owner and/or group. I would suggest to check that and correct that if necessary. And it would really be better to change the permissions of files back to 644 and of directories to 755.