Chat for elgg 1.9

Hello,

Is there any good chat plugin for version 1.9 of Elgg?

Regards

• I was looking for a chat a while ago myself. If you search the discussion area and plugins you will find a bunch of information regarding chat for Elgg. The first thing you'll find in the way of information is that chat can put a heavy load on the server and is NOT recommended if you are using shared hosting / shared server.

That chat you ultimately go with, if you do decide to add chat, will depend on your requirements and the resources you have in both hardware and finances to provide it.

At this time I elected not to offer chat on any of my communities.

Dan

• Thank you for these lights.

Since, I am using shared server, i think i should think it over. Although, the chat function is hardly wanted in a social network.

So, I have just downloaded the freichat application, but to evaluate it, i will need to have loads of people chatting at once to see how good it is.

• I've had OK luck with CometChat (commercial), though the included Elgg integration is both broken and uses a very expensive query to get avatar URLs. I'm hoping to contribute fixes back to them or release them if they'll permit me to.

• I meant to add: their CometService will probably be necessary to scale; I'll be trying it soon.