add top navigation and 4th widget area?

Documentation seems somewhat lacking here for those of us that are REALLY new to elgg, so I'm hoping this is the place to ask.

What I want is to do 2 things.,

1. I want to have header navigation above the users profile page, and group page for links such as the users/groups pages/photos/videos/friends/etc...

Is there such a mod already? and if not where in the world do I start?

2. On the member profile page, I want to add a block exactly the same size as the member profile block, right below that block. In there I plan on inserting a large flash video player with a playlist to the right, which is why I need the large block.

I'm guessing I have to define a 4th 'widget' area to be able to drag a widget into that area?

p.s.

coming from years of wordpress theming, so that is my background. I have zero experience with elgg theming, and frankly it's confusing the hell out of me.

I'm sure there must be good reasons for picking a system like this for themes over what wordpress uses, but man I can't think of a single one LOL..... this is crazy complicated guys... how about a theme 'interpreter' so we can build normal themes and have them converted to whatever elgg is using.

not bashing elgg btw.. luv it, great feature set and great support. Just very hard to figure out

• ok continuing on my questions.

How do I go about adding a 4th widget dropdown area to my theme?

I'm trying to put a 4th area, on the member profile page, right below the member profile block info, that is the exact same size. Then the left 2 columns would begin below this block.

What I can't figure out 'I think' is what file is generating the 3 widget areas on the profile page.

in the profile/start.php I see this at the end

// Define widgets for use in this context
            use_widgets('profile');

I then look at the architecture of the profile page and my best guess is that defaultprofile.php page is the page generating the actual user profile information block on the profile page.

or it's the userdetails.php page doing that block.

What I can't find is the 'master' profile template file that defines where to put the profile block and the 3 widget areas on the page for displaying 'profile widgets'

My best guess is it is the defaultprofile.php file that generates the page with the last part of code

page_draw(elgg_echo('profile:edit:default'),elgg_view_layout("two_column_left_sidebar", '', $title . $form . $listing));

making it so that there is 2 columns of widgets under the user info block?

even if i do figure that part out.... would i not have to define a new 'three_column_left_sidebar' or whatever it needs to be called somewhere?

sure would be nice if there was a graphic layout somewhere that details the default theme and which files draw it out jsut an idea.....

I'm getting the idea that adding widget areas to elgg is nowhere as easy as it is in wordpress where I just add a new widget area to my theme template and it automatically shows up in my theme admin dropdown when choosing where to place widgets.

• Here is an example of how I do it in wordpress.

If I want to add a new widget area  then I simply add this to my template

<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar('NpAdv_Widget1_R') ) : ?>

<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar('NpAdv_Widget1') ) : ?>

<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar('NpAdv_Widget2_R') ) : ?>

etc, etc, etc....

This automatically creates a new widget area in my admin interface that allows me to drop widgets into the specified area.

Does elgg have such a system where I can just define a non-existing widget area, and it will automaticallly show up on the edit screen for the mod in question... in this case profile page?

Beginning Developers

Beginning Developers

This space is for newcomers, who wish to build a new plugin or to customize an existing one to their liking