Thanks for contributing!

I feel like there have been a lot of contributions in the form of bug reports and especially PRs recently. Thanks to those who are pitching in. Elgg 1.9.4 is shaping up to be a pretty great release!

I'd like to also just reiterate our commitment to Semantic Versioning coupled with frequent, regular releases. 1.10 is right around the corner so there's no need to squeeze features into bugfix releases, regardless how small they might feel. Similarly, breaking changes need to go in 2.0 (git master branch). This is different than before where we were willing to make breaking changes in minor releases. Our version numbers mean something very specific now. They are a contract, and we need to honor that contract, even if that causes us some short-term pain. Those who depend on Elgg will appreciate it over the long haul.

2.0 might feel far away but I strongly suspect we will have a much smaller scope than everything you've heard over the past years. I'd like to milk 1.x for everything its worth simply because making backwards-compatible changes is better for adoption and makes upgrading to 2.0 smoother. Many things described as 2.0 may very well be able to make it into 1.12 or 1.13 or whatever with some tweaks. Ideally I think 2.0 would be just 1.x without all the deprecated features. I'm sure it won't be quite that easy, but one can dream, yea?

And thanks for being patient with reviews. I know how it can feel when you just want to make a simple change that you already have working on your live sites or whatever. I hope everyone can appreciate the difference between a quick one-off that fixes the immediate problem and a high-quality, well-tested, well-documented solution that is released to the world. We want to minimize the difference between the two when possible but these quality assurance measures really do help improve the quality and long-term maintainability of this project for our (growing) team of volunteers.

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.