I can not get into my community as admin! HELP ME!

Hi all, I have a problem that is driving me crazy. 
In practice, I can not get into my community as admin. I returned as an error: "the requested action (login) was not defined in the system." 
I also checked in the database, in elgg_user_entity if username and password were incorrect. Unfortunately, the problem persists ... I'm going crazy. 
Prior to working no more. 
Can you tell me how can I solve? 
URGENT, thank you all.

• You have a problem with your installation as a whole, the login action is defined in the core code, this would not be anything to do with the database.  This could be a symptom of missing files (potentially skipped/aborted during an ftp transfer) or possibly a file permissions issue - all files need to be readable by apache (or whatever server you are using).

• So, in this case, the missing file which would be? How do I check all this and maybe fix it? thanks

• If you mean that it is an error in Apache, I've done and that's fine. Green light goes out.

• Is the problem occuring on a new Elgg installation (admin has never been able to log in) or has it worked before and only stopped working recently? Is it only happening for an admin user (normal users still can log in)?

In the case of a new installation, it could be due to a missing/invalid file as Matt suggested. Then I would suggest to simply copy the same Elgg version again in your install directory to overwrite the existing files (assuming you haven't modified any core files). Then, any missing files should become available and possible permission issues should also get sorted out.

If it's a fresh installation and you've installed Elgg into a subdirectory, it could also be a matter of RewriteBase being wrong. In this case you should provide the correct RewriteBase in Elgg's .htaccess file (the comment above this section will tell you what value you have to configure RewriteBase to).

If your site worked before and the problem only started recently or the problem only occurs for admins it's likely to be caused by a plugin. Have you by any chance installed a new plugin? Such a new plugin (or a plugin you've updated) might cause the problem. You might want to try the following:

1. create a file that you give the name "disabled" in the mod directory of your installation (the presence of a file with this name will result in the plugins not getting loaded),
    2. try to log in,
    3. If login works the problem IS caused by a plugin and you should turn off this plugin for real. Then you can remove the disabled file again and the other plugins will get loaded again. If you still can't log in, you know at least that the problem is not caused by a plugin.
  • I tried to create a php file "disabled.php" in the mod folder of Elgg, but the problem still persists. 
    Now it reports the following error: "we could not log you on. Please check your username / email and password." 
    I do not really know what to do more.

• That's a different error so it appears that something has changed - likely the original error is due to a plugin. What have you added recently?
    In the meantime use the forgot password functionality to reset your password.

• I think it's changed because of the definition of disabled.php file in the mod folder. Now what should I do? I checked if the password was correct or not, but I get this error.

• I'm sure the change of the error message is not due to the file created.

The name of the file MUST BE EXACTLY "disabled", not "disabled.php" or with any other file extension. The name must be exactly "disabled". The content of the file doesn't matter, it can be an empty file or it could even be a folder that you create with the name "disabled". It's just the file/folder name that must match exactly.

I would say the new error is rather just caused by entering a wrong username/password this time. Calm down. :-) It can happen to everyone that something like this happens - happened to me too - and the problem will get sorted out.

• Thank you for everything and for your support. Unfortunately, the problem still persists

• Have you seen a difference with the "disabled" file present, i.e. are the plugins disabled? This should be noticeable as really all plugins are disabled resulting in a possible different look of the site and for example also less entries in the site menu (no blogs, pages etc.).
    • Is the current problem the "we could not log you on. Please check your username / email and password." problem or the "the requested action (login) was not defined in the system." problem?
    • In case of the "we could not log you on. Please check your username / email and password." problem: can you only not log in as admin or can't anyone log in? If you don't have a normal account at hand, can you create a new account? Are you sure that the username/password of the admin account you enter are correct?
    • In case of the "the requested action (login) was not defined in the system.": is the mod_rewrite module of Apache loaded? Is "AllowOverride All" set for the Elgg install directory in Apache's http.conf? In case your site is installed in a subdirectory: is RewriteBase in Elgg's .htaccess correct?
Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.