email

Another probably simple question...by default do users have to have an email address? I do not want users registering themselves or validate the users via email (this is being done separatey) and some of the users I am want to have may not an email address (they are school pupils). In v0.9 you certainly did not need an email address but when I tried (as admin) to create a user it would not work unless I entered an email address.

• Users are validated by email by default so you have to use a different validation method. Basically, this should be possible but you will need to

1. create a registration plugin that overrides the current registration process (including validation)

2. figure out how you want notifications to work since by default they use email

• I really want to keep uses "in" the system. I'm having a plugin written which handles user creation so (1) is not a problem. If I "force" all users to use site notifications and remove the option to change it to email will this work? I do not want real email alerts being sent as not all users will have addresses!