upgradeing enquire-please help me understand

hello all

wil i finally conviced my business partner to upgrate to the lastest

i read the update help, one of the advise said the following

• Upgrade only one minor version at a time (1.6 => 1.7, then 1.7 => 1.8)

does that mean i can do any version of say 1.7 (1.7.19) and upgrade to 1.8(1.8.20)??

or do i have to do each version of the main versions eg 1.7.19 > 1.7.20. eg upgrade all the 1.7 version first and then upload all 1.8 version of one at time and upgrade and does that mean any version 1.7. eg say if i was on 1.7.20 can i just goto like 1.8.19 say 

can i just do that way or not

thanks in advanced

• You should be able to go straight from any 1.7.x version to latest 1.8.x version.

• sorry for the late reply.

thanks for your reply Juho

i am doing tests at the moment.

and i installed 1.7.20 and overwrited the files with 1.8.19 which is the latest stable.

once uploaded was completed.

and then i do Domainname.com/elgg/upgrade.php and i get this message

Unable to upgrade.

This installation cannot be upgraded because legacy views were detected in the Elgg core views directory. These views have been deprecated and need to be removed for Elgg to function correctly. If you have not made changes to Elgg core, you can simply delete the views directory and replace it with the one from the latest package of Elgg downloaded from elgg.org.

If you need detailed instructions, please visit the Upgrading Elgg documentation. If you require assistance, please post to the Community Support Forums.  

so delete the views folder and upload the new one to the server

so then re loaded the page and i did upgrade,php again, and the view will it looks like a standard win word document

so then i saved the settings.php from engine, and then uploaded the the new version

but i get a 404 error. anyhelp can be helpful

• You should replace files, not overwrite existing ones, that's why you get error about legacy files.

• so how do i do it. 

delete the old installl and up load the new one???

i never upgraded like this before

the only other last resort is to have my hosting do it

• You only need to:

• keep engine/settings.php
    • update your .htaccess changes to the new verion from htaccess_dist
    • preserve 3rd party plugins and make sure they're supposed to work with Elgg 1.8

The rest should be replaced with 1.8 version. Just throwing new version over old one leaves a lot of junk - you don't want to do that.

• understood 

good job i am only doing a tester groups lol

so the current htaccess has that got to be replaced by the new version eg 1.8 htaccess_dist?

and also note i am doing a fresh install eg with default plugins at the moment

• ok a update to all

i have managed completed upgrade to the latest 1.8.19 without any errors

thank you all ffor your suggestions. ideas and advise.

i maybe really skilled at pcs and etc. but we all learn everyday. and that i didnt know much of elgg of upgrading.

i thought it was something simple.. eg by just replacing them thanks i am greatful for your help

pat your selfs on your backs :)

• If you have access to command line on the server, I recommend looking into updating the Elgg source straight from git version control.

With git you can switch to a new release and git will take care of everything:

• Adding new files
    • Updating existing files
    • Deleting files that are not used anymore

Elgg's git configuration has been set to ignore .htaccess, settings.php and all the non-bundled plugins. So changes made to them won't be lost during an upgrade.

• thank you,

its good helpful tip but i don't have access to the server command line lol

• ok now i got the new version installed. the plugins that i had for 1.7 will i be able to use on 1.8 or have i got find the same ones for 1.8

????