Plugin Settings lost for all plugins

Hi,

Some of my plugin settins are lost after changing the parameter of other plugins,

any clue why this happens?

Regards,
Uddhava dasa

• i got the same issue sometimes i lost all settings sometimes not... i have no idea why but it seems to be because logrotate or gabagecollector... can anybody help?

• There was a lengthy discussion on this problem on another topic. I just cannot locate it right now ;-(

I have seen this too with various sites, elgg friends, others. If I could only fidn that other topic !!

The problem seems to be related to having too many PlugIns and / or some "misbehaved" PlugIn..

• Hi Dhrup,

Ahh thank you for those links. Yes it is clearly a problem with plugins conflicting with each other, as the problem really starts when there are fancy plugins being added.

I've identified a very easy to spot problem, with the plugins:

eventcalendar

As soon as i change anything on evencalendar, everything else is erased. This seems to be because eventcalendar is an older plugin, it must use some not compatible code.

If you notice, in the cases where you list the plugins, event_calendar is always on them. And as we all know, event_calendar is not part of the core.

Regards,
    Uddhava

• Hi Dhrup,

I went into this issue further, and what happens, (using the GUID tool) is that Event_calendar plugin, creates a new GUID object to save its settings. And then other plugins loose their parameters. If i go into the GUID tool and delete the object created by Calendar, the settings for the other plugins come back, and event_calendar's settings are lost.

So, it means, the plugins, use different approaches to storing their settings, and that's where it fails.

Regards,
    Uddhava

• A little bit more coffee.. I think I want to explore the code for Event_calendar internally... a little more and see what can be discovered.

• Hey Dhrup,

Cofee will waste your intelligence. It just dulls the mind. Better take a break, and then fresh mind works better.

Do you know why some plugins create a GUID entity, and others don't for saving their settings ?

Regards,

Uddhava

• Uddhava,

The code the saves the settings all seem to point to

actiona/plugins/settings/save.php

which fetches the settings
        $params = get_input('params');
        $plugin = get_input('plugin');

and then triggers

engine/lib/plugins.php
        function set_plugin_setting($name, $value, $plugin_name = "")

.. so all PlugIns should be going thru the saem logic for their data save.

I'd like to see more details of the Guid object you mentioned above.. Pity it's been deleted already to fix the other PlugIns' settings isssue. Iwould be curious to see how that guid object's contents relates to event_calendar.

• O yes, plugins sometimes make H.G.Wells's Invisible Man. Yesterday i was trying enabling/disabiling some plugins, and maybe i disabled too many with no substitute behind, with the result that nobody can login now (the login stuff is gone) at my site, but a page is visible, an un-rivered activity page taking up the entire horizontal reach, through which I can reach many pages vide links.

(That is a great sentence :)

Now, this is a repeat from another post. Does any file keep a record of plugins enabled/disabled in the form of true/false or 1/0 or whatever?

P.S. These are times when I get nostalgic about Joomla, where you have a separate access to the Admin regardless of whatever you have screwed up at the site.

• dhrup, I saw your posting after keying in the last item. Does engine/lib/plugins.php give any clue?