I'm trying to install Elgg on a website. It is on the site's root directory. So far I'm on the installing.php (http://www.domain.com/install.php) and stuck up as I'm having problems. Whenever I hit the 'save' button an error page appears. It says:
The requested URL /action/systemsettings/install was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.41 Server at -------.com Port 80
Help please! I have tried the trouble shooting methods from the installation documents but nothing seem to work.
Thanks in advance!
Hi, I have the same problem. I've tried every solution I've seen in the post, the mailing lista and the troubleshooting page with no luck.
My mod_rewrite is working (I followed the test you suggested above, the phpinfo() also confirms it), but I'm not sure if it's maybe an error when I try to apply this instruction:
Please note that the path you are using is the WEB path, minus the host.
For example, if your Elgg install is in:
Your RewriteBase line should look like:
I think I don't understand that clearly. Where is that line suppose to be? At the beginning of the file? My web root is /var/www/ and my path is /var/www/elgg/. I don't get that
So far I have all of this new lines in my .htaccess:
1) Options -MultiViews
2) RewriteBase /var/www/elgg/
3) RewriteEngine On
This .htaccess file is placed in /var/www/elgg/. Do I need to do anything else?? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks a lot for your help, I hope you can guide me finding a solution for this. I've spent too many hours trying to make it work.
Cash, thanks a lot for that effort you do to help us even against the Elgg+TinyMCE combination you have there hehe.
I'm still stucked with this problem. I changed my RewriteBase path as you suggested to only /elgg/, saved the file and it didn't work at all. The same message keeps coming on to me:
The requested URL /elgg/action/systemsettings/install was not found on this server.
I have a pretty clean installation in my linux (debian) machine. I installed the AMP with apt-get and I checked on the phpinfo() that I have DOM, JSON, GD and everything Elgg asks for.
I activated the the mod_rewrite as it's supposed to be done (symlinking from mods_available to mods_enable), I've done a couple of mod_rewrite tests in it (including the one recommended here) and both went ok. The phpinfo() also tells me the module is loaded.
I have every permission to the database and I'm the root user in this machine. As in every debian installation I have my apache webroot at /var/www/ and I unzipped elgg's folder there. So I have /var/www/egg/.
Inside the elgg folder I created a .htaccess file from scratch and I've pasted the code I was told to paste. After the initial problems I've changed that file a couple of times. I added a line "Options -MultiViews" at the top of it following instructions from a post at the forum, I added "RewriteBase /elgg/" anywhere (I don't know if the place matters, I just put it before <IfModule !mod_rewrite.c>), I also added "RewriteEngine On" because I read it in the forum.
The link I see in my browser is like this: http://example.com/elgg/action/systemsettings/install, and this is the page I get after hitting SAVE before.
I've restarted Apache after every change, I've changed every "
AllowOverride all" even when I don't see the point and I'm really about to give up even I don't want to do it.
So, after all that story, do you have any last suggestion for me??
Thanks a lot in advanced for everything.
Ok problem solved.
This is what I did:
1) Get rid of the .htaccess I created
2) Rename the system htaccess (htaccess_dist) to make it .htaccess
3) Edit the new .htaccess with /elgg/ in the RewriteBase
4) Restart Apache (I think this is not necessary but at this point I'm paranoid)
Everything went well this time :)
Thanks a lot again..
I was having the exact same problem but fixed it with the last post. Thanks Juan.
Now I have another problem: I got past the install and tried to register the first user... upon submission I get another 404 and my URL reads:
Seems like an .htaccess fix... but I'm not sure what to do to fix it. I'm a noob with mod rewrite stuff :P